First hidden tang glue-up.

Ron Benson

I am about ready to do my first glue job and wonder if there are any hidden gotchas in the process. I have watched all the videos I could find on making/ installing handles and it seems straightforward, but I just want to make sure. I have on hand BSI, (Bob Smith Ind.), 30 min epoxy.

This is a "practice" knife. I bought a clip point blade with a hidden tang and am using a scrap piece of cherry for the handle. The hole is drilled and shaped. I have a very nice handmade drop point blade on order, and a piece of cherry crotch for the handle. Since I have never made - actually, assembled I guess - a knife I thought it would be a good idea to get in a practice run first.

I have ground the tang a number of times on all four corners and will rough it up a bit before I put it together. Acetone is on hand for cleanup and I have rubber gloves for the process. 

Any advice would be greatly appreciated...:rolleyes:

Thanx ~ Ron

You did your homework. The only thing I would add is: once it's glued and clamped, take your time and verify the parallelism on every angle. 30 mins is plenty enough for corrections.

Edit: I am assuming you did a dry fit before gluing.

Edited by Joël Mercier

If the epoxy will be the only thing holding the knife together, I would suggest filing little notches on each of the four corners of the tang, this gives the epoxy something to grab onto.  Be sure to throughly clean the tang also.  

You know those little coffee stirrers they have at McDonald's?  I drop one in the tang hole before I pour the epoxy in, they're hollow so all the air can escape from the bottom of the hole, that way there won't be a void from a trapped bubble... Just remove it once the epoxy is poured.

George Ezell, bladesmith

" How much useful knowledge is lost by the scattered forms in which it is ushered to the world! How many solitary students spend half their lives in making discoveries which had been perfected a century before their time, for want of a condensed exhibition of what is known."
Buffon

view some of my work

RelicForge on facebook

1 hour ago, GEzell said:

You know those little coffee stirrers they have at McDonald's?  I drop one in the tang hole before I pour the epoxy in, they're hollow so all the air can escape from the bottom of the hole, that way there won't be a void from a trapped bubble... Just remove it once the epoxy is poured.

That is a good idea, never heard of it before.

The only thing that I would add would be to have some vaseline ready as well.  Put a light coat on the area's that you don't want epoxy to be. It'll help to prevent the epozy from sticking as it gushes out.  You can also mix the vaseline into any epoxy that does gush out before you wipe it away to keep it from smearing everywhere.

Dry fit was done and corners were notched.Thanx for the tips. I'm headed out in a bit and will stop by McDs for a stirrer. Or maybe the local bar would have 'em. I might have to check several to get the right size and color though. :P

Thanx again everyone ~ Ron

Edited by RonB