jheinen

Respirators - probably a good idea

I ended up at the doctor today with a burning throat and severe pain when coughing. It all started Sunday when I was hand sanding a knife with a bubinga handle. I normally wear a respirator when using the grinder, but I didn't really think about it when hand sanding. Sunday night I couldn't sleep at all because of the coughing, and it also kept my wife up. The doc says it's irritation from the sawdust, and that it would take seven to 10 days to clear up. Prescribed some vicodin to help me sleep. Not fun. Wear a respirator.

Edited by jheinen
Misspelling

I got my respirator a few days ago, I'm so glad I got it. I have heard that some woods are neurotoxins in dust form.

From the "Things you might not know can kill you" pinned thread right here in this subforum: http://www.wood-database.com/wood-articles/wood-allergies-and-toxicity/

Sorry it happened to you.  Ask the doc for a Pred Pack.  It's a shock treatment of prednisone, a steroid that fights inflammation. 

I'm leary of prednisone. My mom got pancreatitis twice from it, and an uncle almost died from prednisone-related pancreatitis.

Good point, it can be nasty for some people.  You certainly do not want to overuse it.  The general rule is never use it more than five days in a row, and then lay off for a week at least.

Abruptly stopping Prednisone  can cause Prenisone withdrawal.  You need to wean off it.

Doug