Power hammer build questions

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

it may not look like it, but I spent all day on this. it's really starting to take shape.

I know I've posted this before     

Thanks Geoff! I could'nt find any last I looked for some reason. Well, here we are; another update. I just have to mount the motor and get a few more peices of hardware together (nevermind the mi

Posted Images

Zeb I looked over your math and material selection.  Aside from choosing to not account for friction loss the math works out.  My bigger question would be why you selected a rubber composite compression spring that is made to be in constant tension with a thru bolt VS. using a mechanically wound metal compression spring that is more common in use on a ratching and tension mechanism.   Plus you're in an abrasive and hot metalworking environment...I would give some consideration to using metal compression springs and eliminate the rubber

2 hours ago, JeffM said:

Zeb I looked over your math and material selection.  Aside from choosing to not account for friction loss the math works out.  My bigger question would be why you selected a rubber composite compression spring that is made to be in constant tension with a thru bolt VS. using a mechanically wound metal compression spring that is more common in use on a ratching and tension mechanism.   Plus you're in an abrasive and hot metalworking environment...I would give some consideration to using metal compression springs and eliminate the rubber

Nah, that was the other guy. I'm Jerry rigging this piece. I ran it with the burnt up/too fast motor and its pumping like a sewing machine now. 

20190710_191651.jpg

Aight. It's done! I might clean a few things up and paint it later, but I'm sick of working on it for now. It runs just about as fast. Maybe a little smoother, and certainly tougher. Here's a short vid. I'm still trying it out, so I'm really taking it easy and feathering it to a start and looking for problems. It's pretty grabby though with half the motor speed. 

Gotta start working on KITH this weekend.