Static electricity from Kalamazoo 2x48.

I've been getting a lot of static electricity buildup while I've been grinding lately.  I started noticing it a couple of months ago when I would grind on the drive wheel, now I'm seeing it when I'm grinding on the platen and using the work rest as well.  There is a noticeable arc that will jump from the belt to whatever I'm grinding.  It's getting to the point where I'm getting one hell of a zap every time I brush up against the work rest.

I've never noticed this problem before and I'm trying to figure out what's causing it.  I'm wondering if it's just from the very dry weather that we've had here for the last 3 months or so.  Other than that, I'm afraid that there might be an issue with the motor or possibly a grounding issue in the barn wiring.  Anybody ever experience this before?

Thanks,

Alex

Is there a ground link between the motor frame and the grinder frame ?

You may also want to check your input wiring ground from the grinder to the breaker box.....

When I bought my grinder, Downland Engineering warned me that could happen if the grinder wasn’t earthed. Might want to check all the wiring.

My KMG does that if it's really dry and I'm wearing nonconductive shoes.  Make sure everything is grounded properly, and don't grind in sneakers.

Interesting.  I'll have to take a look at the wiring and see if there's any issues.  Hopefully I didn't have a mouse chew through any of the wires.  Might be a good time to start my shop renovation.  Thanks for the help!

I've never had more than "environmental static build up" from my KZ 2x48 but I run off a good length belt with the motor close to the ground. 

(I gotta post some pics of my shop as I rebuild it. As Grandpa would say, "That'll scare some folks into honest habits.")