IMPORTANT Registration rules Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Kris Lipinski

My first steps - playing with leather (kind of WiP)

Posted (edited)

Recently I've got plenty of spare time because of ... bronchitis.  But sitting at home on the bom can make man even more sick so I deceided to spend that extra given time for practicing the leatherwork. :P I got some leather offcuts from a friend some time ago. The tools are quick made just for exercising. I'm trying to punch, cut, soon also stitch. The sheath I started is for my wife's knife.

I enclose some pictures of my attempts, and in the futer of the progress :)

Playing with leather 1.JPG

Playing with leather 2.JPG

Playing with leather 5.JPG

Playing with leather 4.JPG

Playing with leather 6.JPG

This motif below was really challenging for my skills and tools - very small details.

Playing with leather 8.jpg

Edited by Kris Lipinski
  • Like 1

Nice!  This is something I seem to have no aptitude for.  I am envious :)

Brian, and so thought I - until I dared to try :) Actually this sheath is my second one. The first I made 2 years ago was just c**p.  And now I'm practising and practising, and it comes out better and better. I'm also exercising some wood curvings and ...  the devil is not as black as he is painted. Gnothi seauton as ancient Greeks used to say :P

• Like 2

Nice work Kris, both on the leather and the tools. It is amazing what can be accomplished with only a handful of tools. 

This is a very good start.
I have a couple suggestions.
Polish your tool ends.
They will make cleaner strikes.
Ultimately the leather you want to work with is vegetable tanned tooling leather.
IDk what you have but it worked out.
Usually with veg tanned you wet, let dry till cool to the touch and then work.

Thank you guys.

Actually I had read and watched a lot before I started - the theory supports practice.

JJ I"ve already polished them :) And the leather is probably vegetable tanned - as I tried on some other pieces and it didn't work.

Soon after Easter the threads and needles should be delivered - then I will start stitching and I'll show the results, step by step. Then I'm gonna do some brass plates etc.

Posted (edited)
On ‎3‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 12:45 PM, Brian Dougherty said:

Nice!  This is something I seem to have no aptitude for.  I am envious :)

It's really not that difficult.

I did a little "How to" (or "how I do") on that Seax WIP in the middle of page 2. I only use about 5 tools and a swivel knife on that project.

Edited by Joshua States

7 hours ago, Joshua States said:

It's really not that difficult.

I did a little "How to" (or "how I do") on that Seax WIP in the middle of page 2. I only use about 5 tools and a swivel knife on that project.

Yep, I remember your post, and have that one saved away for reference.

My problem isn't so much with the actual tooling, it is with the artwork.  I can take a pre-drawn pattern and make it look pretty decent in leather, but anything I try to do from scratch looks like a well executed version of something a 5-year old drew.  I've been told that drawing is a skill that needs to be learned like any other, but it hasn't been coming as easy to me as most things do. :)

I did some next steps: guled slightly the edges and curved a groove.

First sheath 1.JPG

On the other side I made a groove after making the holes, to make sure the stitch is gonna fit the grooves on both sides.

First sheath 2.JPG

Two needles with a braided and waxed thread.

First sheath 3.JPG

I used threads of approx. 170% of lenght of the stitching line and it was just enough.

First sheath 4.JPG

Then I ground the edges with sand paper and polished with water and some wood tool from the kitchen :)

First sheath 5.JPG

First sheath 6.JPG

I'm going to put some brass plates, copper rivets and one loop to hang on the belt.

• Like 1

Hello Kris! awesome work! If those are the first steps I'm sure the next ones will be outstanding! thanks for show, greetings, leonardo

One problem I have with my leather work is that I can"t seem to get the edges of the leather to smooth out. The welt and the 2 edges seem to always be uneven after I burnish. 

My were uneven as well, but before burnishig I ground them with sand paprer (80 grit, then 600 grit). Actually I'm learning and practising.

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Wesley Alberson said:

One problem I have with my leather work is that I can"t seem to get the edges of the leather to smooth out. The welt and the 2 edges seem to always be uneven after I burnish. 

8 hours ago, Kris Lipinski said:

My were uneven as well, but before burnishig I ground them with sand paprer (80 grit, then 600 grit). Actually I'm learning and practising.

That's the way it's done. I use my 2x72 belt grinder, because I have one. A nice 60 grit AO belt and then burnish with an antler burnishing tool in the drill press.

Nice work Kris! That came out great. I can't wait to see the finished sheath with the metal bits added.

Edited by Joshua States

After a long time I finished the sheath that I showed in first post. The leather work isn't at high level, but the sheath is really functional :)

Little seax with sheath 6.JPG

Little seax with sheath 1.JPG

Little seax with sheath 2.JPG

Little seax with sheath 3.JPG

Little seax with sheath 4.JPG

Little seax with sheath 5.JPG

• Like 2

I like the whole thing. One frustration to me is the fact that, in my mind, there is no reason to make a seax if your not going to make a sheath that is contemporary to the era. 

"Playing," he says...  :lol:  Very nice job!  

On ‎7‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 9:40 AM, Alan Longmire said:

"Playing," he says...  :lol:  Very nice job!  

Yeah +1 to that. Excellent work Kris.