Sign in to follow this  
ruggero

sumac stagwood with hamon

Nice knife, handle is beautiful. 

Charming - the wood is reaali attractive for eyes :) And the hamon is well visible. Clay cover method quench?

9 hours ago, brian_newberry said:

Tell me more about the wood please? Source, how did it work, how hard is it, stabilized, etc.

I too, am curious. I've seen sumac here, but never anything big enough to be useful.

Here in Fl. the only sumac, is poison sumac! You don't want to touch the foilage or the tree itself. However I did Google Sumac wood and what I saw had a beautiful grain!! 

Love the knife by the way the handle is unique and the blade reminds me somewhat of a Puko style!! 

Hi Guys,

i think we speek not from the same tree. The dust is poison. But no problem to touch the Wood and tree.

This one is :

Cotinus coggygria, syn. Rhus cotinus, the European smoketree,[1]Eurasian smoketree, smoke tree, smoke bush, or dyer's sumach is a species of flowering plant in the family Anacardiaceae, native to a large area from southern Europe, east across central Asia and the Himalayas to northern China.

It is a multiple-branching shrub growing to 5–7 m (16–23 ft) tall with an open, spreading, irregular habit, only rarely forming a small tree. The leaves are 3–8 cm long rounded ovals, green with a waxy glaucous sheen. The autumn colour can be strikingly varied, from peach and yellow to scarlet. The flowers are numerous, produced in large inflorescences 15–30 cm (5.9–11.8 in) long; each flower 5–10 mm diameter, with five pale yellow petals. Most of the flowers in each inflorescence abort, elongating into yellowish-pink to pinkish-purple feathery plumes (when viewed en masse these have a wispy 'smoke-like' appearance, hence the common name) which surround the small (2–3 mm) drupaceous fruit that do develop.

Ruggero