Vern Wimmer

Ok, crazy idea. Has anyone

Made a two-wheeled grinder (2×72) just for the purpose of having a dedicated contact wheel?

The new post about sunray wheels got me to thinking. I have extra motors around and neither of my grinders have  large diameter contact wheel because I don't do hollow grinding and retro fitting isn't an option. I would hate to lose a customer who insisted on a hollow grind and don't want to jerk around when I could make a dedicated grinder to do it properly and efficiently. 

So, anybody make one ?

Vern,

If you do a  two wheel grinder then you  shouldn't use any larger than a six inch wheel on a 1725 rpm motor or your belt speed will get excessive.  Something that I did years ago with an old Grizzly two wheel machine was to replace the platen with a 14" wheel for hollow grinds.  That way I didn't change the belt speed.

Edited by Gary Mulkey

But, you could have a small drive wheel and a larger wheel on the other end. this would reduce your rpms.

Thanks Gary that is a point I hadn't considered. 

Of course having a one- track mind (some would say "a jumped the track" mind) I immediately turn to the fact that I have a couple of pillow blocks and step pulleys from making my own buffers around.....then again a small contact on the motor shaft, a lrge contact on the far end and another wheel, as an adjustable tracker....

Rube Goldberg is alive between my ears.

I was just thinking of the easiest way to get a decent size contact hollow grinding wheel with mostly things at hand but I am never one to let principles like simplicity and common sense stand in my way.

15 minutes ago, Zeb Camper said:

But, you could have a small drive wheel and a larger wheel on the other end. this would reduce your rpms.

That was my first thought but that would make either the motor end or the contact end also the tracking wheel. Not optimal BUT a three wheeler might mean a bonus small contact on the motor.

YEEEESSSS!! THEN I could have more sizes of wheels. And with a large drive wheel I can get to warp speed in no timem

Im working on a two wheel grinder right now (my fourth attempt.... my motor has a heavy gearbox and the mount flexes)

They can be simple machines, you need a motor and a tracking wheel and a tensioner. Using the tracking wheel or the tensioning wheel (which can be the same wheel) as a contact wheel can throw off the belt.

I think making a mount for a motor that provides tension and tracking adjustment would be perfect, you bolt down your motor and you could have the contact wheel anywhere in space as long as the wheels are reasonably aligned and you have a long enough belt. 

There is a guy on youtube who made one with a skateboard truck and a 2x4 that is very inspiring. 

4 hours ago, steven smith said:

Im working on a two wheel grinder right now (my fourth attempt.... my motor has a heavy gearbox and the mount flexes)

They can be simple machines, you need a motor and a tracking wheel and a tensioner. Using the tracking wheel or the tensioning wheel (which can be the same wheel) as a contact wheel can throw off the belt.

I think making a mount for a motor that provides tension and tracking adjustment would be perfect, you bolt down your motor and you could have the contact wheel anywhere in space as long as the wheels are reasonably aligned and you have a long enough belt. 

There is a guy on youtube who made one with a skateboard truck and a 2x4 that is very inspiring. 

That is what I am pondering. I have a Kalamazoo and a Coote, both two wheelers and I can get the idea of the drive wheel and motor as tensioners since it's similar to my belt drive on the grinders I have but the tunable tracking with the motor  has me head scratching. 

Wouldn't call it a crazy idea........this was my first grinder - 1978 or so. 1 HP Baldor Buffer (1725 rpm) 8" x 2" serrated rubber contact wheel; back stand idler; fabricated work rest and platen setups. It used to be oriented differently on the worktable, so I could access the "platen" from the end of the table without reaching over the contact wheel - it's only in sitting place for this photo.

Saludos

J

JDWARE KNIVES

IMG_0234.jpg

Edited by JDWare

One  of my general purpose grinders in the shop.  2-1/2 x 60 belt.    Note the step pulleys for changing speeds.  I run it in slow most of the time.   Cuts great with a 60 grit Norton.

Made it over 30 years ago.

33dd7wg.jpg

Edited by John Ricks

Nice John! we must have used the same CAD drawings for our grinders.  Parts cut with laser or waterjet? :) 

J

JDWARE KNIVES

Edited by JDWare

Thanks John and JD. I remember seeing grinders like those in the early Blade magazine articles. That is what popped into my head when I looked at my pile of "spare stuff". That got me wondering if people still made/used them. Perhaps it's time for a reexamination of the concept in light of new options for wheels, belts and such. I hope to be visiting the big city around here tomorrow. Maybe I'll find some inspiration for a project.