• Announcements

• Alan Longmire

IMPORTANT Registration rules   02/12/2017

Use your real name or you will NOT get in.  No aliases or nicknames, no numerals in your name. Do not use the words knives, blades, swords, forge, smith (unless that is your name of course) etc. We are all bladesmiths and knifemakers here.  If you feel you need an exception or are having difficulty registering, send a personal email to the forum registrar here.  
jheinen

Blade Show West?

Who is planning to attend Blade Show West in Portland, OR? It's going to be at the Oregon Convention center from October 5th to the 7th. I'd love to meet some of you face-to-face. I'll bring the bourbon :)

-Jeff

I will be there Jeff, at least for one of the days if not more.

Blade Show West was very disappointing the 4 or 5 years that it was in Portland. I will most likely go to the show for a visit but not sure about getting a table. Still several months out and its possible I could change my mind.

9 hours ago, Raymond Richard said:

Blade Show West was very disappointing the 4 or 5 years that it was in Portland. I will most likely go to the show for a visit but not sure about getting a table. Still several months out and its possible I could change my mind.

If you don't mind my asking, why was it disappointing?

I think BW is going to be better this time around.  Major new setting (the last ones were in marginal spaces) and the knife community is much stronger than it was in Portland.

Geoff

6 hours ago, Wes Detrick said:

If you don't mind my asking, why was it disappointing?

Very low attendance at either location in the past. I just don't think a new location in Portland is the ticket. Hopefully I am wrong.

8 hours ago, Raymond Richard said:

Very low attendance at either location in the past. I just don't think a new location in Portland is the ticket. Hopefully I am wrong.

I hope that Geoff's assessment above is correct and that the increased popularity of knives in the past few years draws much bigger crowds.  We can always hope.

I received a survey from BLADE magazine awhile back that was gauging people's interest in a West coast blade show. I suspect that they got encouraging results from the survey, fueled by the current interest in knife making that Forged in Fire has generated. Popular interest in knife making is probably at an all-time high right now. 

3 hours ago, jheinen said:

I received a survey from BLADE magazine awhile back that was gauging people's interest in a West coast blade show. I suspect that they got encouraging results from the survey, fueled by the current interest in knife making that Forged in Fire has generated. Popular interest in knife making is probably at an all-time high right now. 

Popular interest in knife making. You know how many times I have had my brain picked at a knife show? There's always interest from others that want to learn to make knives. For most of us that do knife shows the number one reason we are there is to sell a few knives. Granted FIF has created more interest in the making of knives but has it created anymore custom knife buyers?

I've been doing shows a for a while, close to twenty years.  There are always more lookers and wannabes than buyers.  I get some students that way, and I don't feel bad about giving away information.  Most of them are never going to make more than a couple of knives, and most of them are never going to buy a custom knife.  The best you can hope for is that someone will see something that jumps up off the table at them.  I like selling my stuff as much as anyone, but it's rare for me to sell more than one or two at a show.  I make what I like and hope that other folks do too.  I think that BW has the potential to bring in some crowds, and more people make more chances to make a sale.

Geoff