Sign in to follow this  
Conner Michaux

How do you make a makers mark?

I have some ideas for a makers mark but I don't know how to make them. Are there ways you can get it made by someone else, or do I have to make it myself.

Buckeye Engraving  http://www.buckeyeengraving.com/ is one of if not the most popular touchmaker maker in the bladesmith world, at least among the Instagram community. Everyone loves his stuff. I haven't got mine done yet simply because I can't settle on a design :P

2 hours ago, Conner Michaux said:

I have some ideas for a makers mark but I don't know how to make them. Are there ways you can get it made by someone else, or do I have to make it myself.

Not sure if you are talking about the actual design....or the stamp or stencil.

I would think you would want the design to be yours......I know of one guy one here that made his own stamp.

The stencils you are most likely gonna have to buy. I still cant figure out how this sorcery works. lol

I forged mine. To make mine I actually made several smaller punches to fit the inside of The letters ZC. Then, I cleaned it up with needle files and a dremel. Keep in mind you have to make the letters face backwards on the punch. 

It might be worth just paying someone to make one though . 

Typically, you can send out your artwork to either a stamp or stencil maker and they send you the stamps or a booklet of stencils.

When I started out, I purchased the Etch-o-Matic basic marker kit and the stencil making kit. It allowed me to create a maker's mark on my home computer and save the artwork file. The stencil maker allowed me to make the stencils for the electro-etching. There are other home-made etching gizmos and a search of this site will show you how to make your own. I will add a little warning about these stencils from Etch-o-Matic. They do not always produce a clean and crisp line. There can be some bleed through. The film doesn't last forever either, so if you go this route, I suggest making a bunch of stencils at a time and store them in a safe place. The other good thing about the DIY stencils, is that I had a customer who asked me to etch things into blades for him. (People's names usually, he bought a lot of knives from me for family & friends.)

Now I get my stencils from Marking Methods. They send me a booklet of like 40 at a time (I think) and they save my artwork file so it's the same thing every time.

Thanks guys.