New forge build

Bill saunders

I am building my first forge. I am using a sand blaster tank that is 12" in diameter and the center section is 18".  I have enough inswool coming to put 2" possibly 3".  I have rigidizer,  kast o lite 30, and Plistix 900F to coat the inswool.  1st question do you use any type of adhesive to hold the inswool in place?  I figure cutting it to go around the inside would probably hold it in place but what about the concave parts on the end.  I want the forge to be able to heat treat also which leads me to my second question.  Can you use a ribbon burner to heat treat?  I have read where people have welded with a ribbon burner at 1psi. I will be using 2 forced air burners if I don't go the ribbon burner route.  Thank you in advance for any help.

the way I hold the wool in place is, I drill some very small holes on the forge body and use Nichrome wire to sow it in.

Are you making this as a general forging/heat treating forge? Seems to be that one forge will not do it all (as far as propane goes).

For instance, my blown forge gets way too hot for general forging and heat treating, but does great for drawing out wrought and setting welds. My venturi forge does an exellent job at heat treating and general forging but doesn't get hot enough to weld. There are pros and cons to everything. 

What are you planning to make in this? 2 blown burners is a ton of unneeded heat in a close spacing. Venturi burners, or the single ribbon may be a better option.  

What thickness wool are you using? 2" will stay tight against the walls no problem. I haven't worked with 1". 

Edited by Zeb Camper

A blown ribbon burner (the only kind there is, I think) can be adjusted from welding heat to HT heat easily.  As with any blown burner, throw away the PSI gauge, it means nothing with blown burners.  You're dumping gas from a 1/8" tube, so there is no back pressure to speak of.

Check out the Ribbon Burner attachment on the Forge Supplies page of my web-site.  You really only need to study the first few pages, an article written by John Emmerling.

I still use the pressure gage (it does give me some useful information).  I control the flame atmosphere (reducing, neutral or oxidizing), the temperature for welding without flux or general forging, or heat treating.  I find that this is a great all purpose forge.

Let me know if I can help you. 

Wayne Coe
Artist Blacksmith
729 Peters Ford Road
Sunbright, Tennessee
706-273-8017
waynecoe@highland.net
www.WayneCoeArtistBlacksmith.com

On 4/13/2018 at 8:05 AM, Alan Longmire said:

the only kind there is, I think

Frosty built this naturally aspirated ribbon burner and shared it on iforgeiron.com 

https://www.iforgeiron.com/topic/48001-naturally-aspirated-ribbon-burner-photo-heavy/