• Announcements

• Alan Longmire

IMPORTANT Registration rules   02/12/2017

Use your real name or you will NOT get in.  No aliases or nicknames, no numerals in your name. Do not use the words knives, blades, swords, forge, smith (unless that is your name of course) etc. We are all bladesmiths and knifemakers here.  If you feel you need an exception or are having difficulty registering, send a personal email to the forum registrar here.  
Sign in to follow this  
Joshua States

Removing rust

I made a kitchen knife for someone who wanted to give his wife a nice knife for Christmas last year. Of course, I gave him my standard "Use & Care Instructions" which included never put the knife in the dishwasher. He brought it back to me and asked if anything could be done to fix the finish after his daughter did exactly what she had been told to never ever do. 1095 and cocobolo with 410 bolster plate. AAAAAAAAAAAAAH:angry:

Rusted 2.png

Rusted 1.png

I was told this stuff would'nt harm the metal, but only eat the rust https://www.google.com/aclk?sa=l&ai=DChcSEwiYiKWVhrvaAhUPGAwKHSH7BHAYABANGgJxYg&sig=AOD64_0oul45XrpqPm3nFHT7ZrViLac-Jg&ctype=5&q=&ved=0ahUKEwjUgaCVhrvaAhUQh-AKHTymAvgQwg8IOg&adurl=

Also there is some other chemical that they use to clean motorcycle gas tanks that also only attacks rust. I forget the name. It's pricey though. 

I would start with a vinegar bath. Seal the handle as much as possible and soak for a couple days. Use a Brillo pad or steel wool. Then oil the handle and patina the blade with vinegar again.

1 hour ago, JJ Simon said:

You can get the rust off with a number of chemicals but the finish is toast.
Because the rust will have pitted the steel.

Yeah. I know a couple of ways to remove the rust. The finish is toast. I will do the best I can with some 600 grit powder I think. What a %$^#ing mess.

The hardest part is going to be getting in to the corner at the bolster plate. There's a thin line of rust running along the joint.

Edited by Joshua States

Yeah, that's shitty.
I'm assuming the bolster and handle are still tight on the knife.
If not it would be easier to disassemble and regrind.
And I wouldn't return it hand finished.
They'd get a A45 trizac finish with scotchbrite over it.

6 hours ago, JJ Simon said:

And I wouldn't return it hand finished.
They'd get a A45 trizac finish with scotchbrite over it.

Interesting idea. Scrubbing/grinding this on the platen would probably be the easiest thing to do, but it would eliminate the shallow hollow I put into my kitchen knives with the beveled disc.  I've already done some hand work getting rid of the rust and shallow pitting. It's not going to get really smooth ever again, I fear.

Also, the handle is showing signs of adverse reaction to the heat and detergent in the dishwasher. The cocobolo has turned a monkey do brown and there is some cracking at the bolster area.

Edited by Joshua States

I'd put it on the grinder.
And then slightly convex the bottom third.
This will allow for decent food break.
Save you time and effort that unless you're being paid you don't really need to be doing.
The cracking near the bolster, is it the wood near the bolster?
If the wood is messed up I'd heat the whole piece in the oven to 400 and remove the wood and epoxy and make a new handle.
If you take it apart you can regrind with ease.
Machine finish it and reassemble.

This is why they created 3M belts....

Oh no!!! A little late to the party here, but damn that sucks man! Every makers nightmare. Looks like its pitted kinda deep too. Yeah, i would be taking that thing back to the grinder. 

Good luck, hope its finish comes back. And i would give that customer a stern talking to :angry:.

On ‎4‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 6:01 PM, JJ Simon said:

If the wood is messed up I'd heat the whole piece in the oven to 400 and remove the wood and epoxy and make a new handle.
If you take it apart you can regrind with ease.

I told the owner where I was after an hour and I suggested removing the handle and putting a new one on. He asked hw much that would cost. I told him $100.