• Announcements

• Alan Longmire

IMPORTANT Registration rules   02/12/2017

Use your real name or you will NOT get in.  No aliases or nicknames, no numerals in your name. Do not use the words knives, blades, swords, forge, smith (unless that is your name of course) etc. We are all bladesmiths and knifemakers here.  If you feel you need an exception or are having difficulty registering, send a personal email to the forum registrar here.  
doc blues

anyang 33

I  am buying an Anyang 33 hammer from James Johnson. I have little experience with power hammers , but shoulders are shot.Need advice on choice of dies. Flat and use a saddle and tooling or lightly crowned for drawing? I  will also be making some small damascus billets.With the 33 the combo dies seem to be to small, but I have no practical experience with them. All imput is welcome.

I had one (we call it the 15kg here haha) for 3 years. Lovely machine, did everything I asked her to. The combined flat drawing dies are far too small to realistically use unless youre making really small billets (less than an inch square). I pretty much used the flat dies for everything, youd be surprised how well flat will draw bar stock out. Not worth the bother of changing dies for drawing etc. 

Let me know how it goes!

James

I have a 33 with flat dies and really enjoy it. The combo dies are just too small. Just like you mentioned,  I made a drop in drawing die/fuller for my bottom tool holder. The longer stroke on the newer machines makes this easy, and moves metal well when you need it.