• Announcements

• Alan Longmire

IMPORTANT Registration rules   02/12/2017

Use your real name or you will NOT get in.  No aliases or nicknames, no numerals in your name. Do not use the words knives, blades, swords, forge, smith (unless that is your name of course) etc. We are all bladesmiths and knifemakers here.  If you feel you need an exception or are having difficulty registering, send a personal email to the forum registrar here.  
Sign in to follow this  
Steve Nowacki

The Nomad

Hi Gents

I did this one a little while back, but this is the first chance I've had to post it. The blade for this knife has an L-3 core laminated with Hitachi white paper steel cheeks, blade length is 120mm, it's 5.5mm thick on the spine with an overall length of 250mm. The full tang is tapered, the handle scales are Arizona desert ironwood with black liners, held with two S/S Corby bolts and one mosaic pin. The sheath is a wet formed pancake style dyed walnut brown with Kydex rivets and a large Tek-Lok belt clip.

Thank you for taking the time to look gents, all comments, questions and critique welcome.

Steve

DSCF5389.jpg

DSCF5390.jpg

DSCF5391.jpg

DSCF5392.jpg

DSCF5394.jpg

DSCF5395.jpg

• Like 1

I really like that, and I'm not usually a fan of the Tec-Loc system.  The knife makes it all good, though!

• Like 1

Thank you for that Alan, I agree with you about the Tec-Lok system. I don't have that on my personal sheath carry I have the same style sheath, but I have moulded Kydex belt loops instead, it carries the sheath closer to my body and I still get multi carry positions with them.

Wow, very nice all the way around.  That is a knife I could see myself carrying.

So I guess this is a silly question, but the Hitachi white paper steel is laminated?  I never knew that!

• Like 1

That laminated steel blade is a really cool look-- and it contrasts well with the classic, no-nonsense profile of the knife. Well done. 

• Like 1

I love the overall lines on the knife.  Very clean and the forge finish on the ricasso is a nice contrast. Beautiful work.

• Like 1

Hi Gents

Thank you for taking the time to look and comment on this piece, sorry I haven't got back a bit sooner, work just gets in the way I'm pleased to say. The Shiro 2 white paper steel by itself isn't actually laminated. The bars that I have are 5.5mm thick with a solid white paper core which has been laminated with wrought iron. The bars already have a total of 11 layers in them prior to me forge welding them to another core. I have made stock removal blades from this material on it's own in the past and even though it makes a beautiful cutting blade I always feel the pattern produced is a little boring and looks quite sterile because of how the sheet comes out of the mill. By using a different core in this case L3/52100 and putting a bar of the Shiro 2 on each side making a san mai billet I feel it creates a more interesting pattern. When welded what you can see is the L3/52100 core/cutting edge, moving up the blade you then see the bottom layers of the Shiro 2 bar welded to the core then you get the solid band of white paper steel which is close to the spine of the knife. The top layers of the Shiro 2 are almost completely removed, there are just a couple of hints of this left right on the edge of the spine and as for the iron wood Wes it definitely is a beautiful  material to use. I just wish I could get more figured blocks of the stuff over here in the UK, the straight grained blocks I can get which are 125mm x 45mm x 30mm set me back £29 sterling. Not cheap or maybe cost effective I know, but like you said buddy it is a beautiful wood and it does add a certain something to the overall look of any knife.

Steve

If it helps you feel better, ironwood isn't any cheaper here.  :(  Unless you happen to live in southern Arizona and not on National Forest land where it's illegal to harvest, that is.  It's protected here, most of what you see for sale is from Mexico.

• Like 1