JPH

Latest Construction Photos and a Request for Aid

Hello:  

I don't know what to do or if even this will be allowed  on here but I am in between a rock and a hard place.. and I am looking at loosing everything I have worked for..for close to the last 50 years as far as blade/blacksmithing goes....,

As many of you are aware, we moved from Henderson, NV to Spring Hill, FL,  last December, hoping for a better and more manageable future. I thought that I put aside the needed funds for building the new studio, but thanks to  more than a few "cost overruns" and unforeseen construction requirements  ( like the mandatory pre-construction termite spray..this is a steel building folks..NO wood AT ALL..but the State of Florida said it was needed so..I had to pay the $1400.00 for the treatment) and a few others..    this has really cut into my funds to the point where I am more or less looking at loosing everything..

I hate to carp and complain and I detest having to do this but my back is up against the wall here... so I am asking for ya'all to maybe give me a hand here and at least spread the word that I am looking into the void and oblivion ( and I do not like what I see...) and I could most certainly use a "helping hand" here...

These cost overruns have pretty much drained all of my construction funds and i am simply DONE unless I can raise some serious lucre...In other words..I will be OUT OF BUSINESS.. simple as that...And shortly after that... we will be homeless.. This is NOT something I want to even consider..

As it is....I have an open trench waiting for power and water to be run from the house to the studio...as you can see there are some serious roots that needed to be cut (the 150 $$  US dollar charge that the backhoe  operator told me went way UP when these roots started to be a problem..).but I had no choice...I have more roots than Kunta Kinte to work through..Thankfully I have a sawz-all and that helps a bit...and once the power and water are laid in..I still have to back fill and compact it (by hand..yeppers.. just me. a shovel and a 8" square tamper out there doing our thing)..

The 210/220 service is wired in... as ya all can see in the photo.. now the 110/120 circuits  still need to be wired from the breakers to the sockets, as well as the lights that need to be installed as well.. then there is back filling the trench once the power and water lines are run and the electric service is energized .. And I am pretty much doing this all myself..by me lonesome...

The isolation pad for my power hammer still needs to be dug out, with the re-bar laid and poured, the same with the front apron/walk way so I can actually use the overhead door to move things in and out. This I have to hire out..yet another expense.. I simply do not know what to do.. I mean is this the way I end??  I am at a loss which brings me to this:

I have started a GO Fund Me page:  https://www.gofundme.com/help-finish-my-workshop

This posting is the first post about my  go fund me page...  I  am still not all that sure as to what to do with this...but I am hoping that the Wise Lord sees what is happening and in His Wisdom..sends some aid to us here in our time of desperate need.

All I am asking is for ya all to consider spreading the word to your friends, family and contacts...  If you are uncomfortable in doing so.. I understand..but if you can ..after you search your heart .. if you can..PLEASE send a donation...it will be greatly appreciated...(see my go fund me page for what I have said about donations)..

The really sad "kicker" in all of this is the fact that if the 5 most expensive pieces sold off m,y website...I would be good to go... All I can say is that I am putting my life into the hands of the Wise Lord...and His wisdom will be just and righteous.., SeLah

I will be posting a couple of bare pattern welded sword blades on the "for sale" pages later on today.. So please keep an eye out for those...these are the same blades that I use for my latest sword editions...So keep an eye out!!

THANK YOU for your time in reading this and once again..ANY aid you can give  WILL be greatly appreciated...

Thanks again.... JPH

DSC04687A.jpgDSC04689A.jpg

DSC04683A.jpg

DSC04685A.jpg

DSC04690A.jpg

Edited by JPH

What sort of aid are you asking for sir ?   Are you selling stock ?   I'd very much hate to see a Master Craftsman go out of business.     I've just had to  dig a very long trench myself, about 300'.     The pick is worse for wear.    I wish you a speedy solution to your problems.

Edited by Bruno

Bruno:

THANK YOU for the kind words.. As I mentioned I am pretty much stuck..the cost overruns have eaten away my  funds..I thought I had enough put aside to build and finish but I am coming up short.. I have enough "stock for sale" on my web site that I had "put aside" to cover the  "every day" stuff,  WHEN it sells..(but who knows when any sale will take place??). but I had no idea at all as far as the "extra stuff" I would be dealing with down here.. I simply am at my wit's end as far as this goes...

I am looking at total disaster here..if the pieces I have listed on my site would sell..I would be out of the hole I am in...and I would be up and running in about 4 to 5 weeks..  But be that as it may...The direct bury cable that I ordered a while ago was dropped off today so I can at least run that and the water line as well  in the trench once I get all those *&O%!!ing roots out of the way...Thankfully I have my old SawzAll and she will do the tricks I need... Some of these roots are as thick as my leg but what the Hell..I will..I WILL get  through these and get them  out of the way.. HOWEVER:

I am not qualified as far as connecting power service  so I have to hire that  to be done from an outside source that has the papers to keep Pasco County happy..but I can still lay cable...run it through the LB boxes and pull it up into the breaker box...as well as put in the water line.. I may not be a spring chicken but I am NOT helpless.. and I will..I WILL be fighting this fight until the end..whatever end that may be.. I will NOT give up without a FIGHT!!

We are so close .so very freakin' close to getting this done..and being able to get my equipment from Nevada  and for me to get back to work...but I am coming up short and I am pretty much out of cash $$ as well as ideas... So this is why I started this..I am not asking for "charity"..but a "Order Advance"...This is all explained on my go fund me page as far as that goes.  Oh Hell's Bells.. WHY..Oh WHY did I have to be born so good looking instead of being rich>??

If you have any questions at all I can be reach through here on a IM or through my web site at www.atar.com  ..

Please spread the word as far as my Go Fund Me page goes.. ANYTHING will help..

THANK YOU!!  JPH

Chas D Pre:  THANK YOU...  Please if you can spread the word as far as our needs are for us to get this up and running...

THANK YOU kindly..I do NOT want to loose all that I have worked so hard to bring bladesmithing into the "modern " world as they say..

JPH

Edited by JPH

Jim - 

I donated to your site and I'm going to post a link on my facebook page which gets a lot more traffic.

Some advice: You'll get more donations if you are a little less humble.  Remember that WE all know who you are on this forum, but you need to tell the general public who you are.

The photo on your gofundme page shouldn't be of the trench. Not sexy enough. Post photos of your work. Tout the fact that you wrote the book that helped to launch bladesmithing into popularity in this country.  This is not a time for humility, my friend! 

Luck!

Dave

Yeah, Dave is probably right.  We all respect the anonymity that you seem to prefer, but this is probably the right time to take off the specks an oxford to let the red cape fly.  Your books were probably the siren's song that drug half the sorry lot that hangs around this place into this craft.

My belt is overly tight these days, but I'll chip in what I can.

I did share your GoFundMe on a popular bladesmithing group on FB. Good luck M.Hrisoulas!

Posted to my FB page. I'll also send some $$ on payday (Friday). 

If I had an online presence anywhere else I'd certainly share it, Jim, but this is the only place I am.  Hopefully Dave and Joel's FB shares will start kicking in soon!  And Dave is right, it is almost entirely your fault and your fault alone that so many of us dating to the pre-internet era got into knifemaking in the first place, so we owe you one.  I mean, I read David Boye's "Step by step knifemaking" in the eighth grade when it was the only book of its type the school system had (and imagine them having it now!), but since it was all about stock removal and acid etching it just didn't trip my trigger.  "The Complete Bladesmith," on the other hand, still does it for me.  Heck, I used the sheathmaking section just last week!  And "The Master Bladesmith," and of course the damascus one.  And then there's the video, which was the first time I had ever seen anyone using grinder the way you do.  Talk about an eye-opener!

Anyway, $ sent, and good luck!  May the flame remain eternal. B)

Oh wow...I am truly humbled by all of this..i will re-write the page and tweak it a bit and put up a different photo as well...as ya all suggested..

I am truly with out words  on this.. THANK YOU ALL  so very much!

JPH

I donated and shared to our FB page as well. Definitely get some T&A pics of your work up online. If you have some to post here, I can upload them to the FB post. If you give us 6 pics and we each upload 1 a day that will bump your presence each day we post a pic. That will keep the fund in constant exposure for a week.

Hello!!

First..I am still mind blown at all of this...and very humbled and grateful indeed for everything so far..I did get the water and power laid in but I am having a problem with the electrical..I may need to sink another ground rod for the 110/120 circuits as an "old school" fix..more on that..I did manage to get enough of the trench back filled so Sue can at least drive up to the door and not have to hike the 150 feet on her bad knees....hopefully I will have this power situation sorted out this weekend...then it is fill the trench..bring in some more fill and grade for the apron and walk around and our the isolation pad.. then  it is put in the shelves and racks  and all the other "inside stuff" and then I will be ready to get my equipment..I am so freakin' close to getting this done and back to work...

I do appreciate all the support and help ya all have offered and so freely given..I truly am very humbled by all of this..so very much so...

As far as the photos ya all asked for...send me your e-mail address here via messenger and I will e-mail ya as many as ya all want of some of the spiffy stuff...and THANK YOU all so very much! Now if you can use them if I post them here...here ya go...

THANK YOU once again

JPH

DSC00289A.jpg

DSC02400A.jpg

DSC02183A.jpg

DSC03569A.jpg

DSC02714A.jpg

DSC04543A.jpg

DSC04137A.jpg

DSC04139A.jpg

DSC04144A.jpg

DSC04560A.jpg

DSC04606A - Copy.jpg

DSC04389A.jpg

• Like 1

I got someone on FB who wants to donate but doesn't use PayPal. He wants your address to send money... understandable if you don't want to say.

Joel:  My address is on my website....I dunno about posting it here... I would like to say THANK YOU for the donation  that you friend has so graciously offered...

www.atar.com is the site

THANK YOU...

Still messing with the electrical buggaboo..It does in fact look like I need an additional ground rod..which isn't that difficult a fix..more as things happen.. 

THANK YOU ALL  once again..

JPH

With that sandy soil down there, I'm not surprised about needing another ground rod.  On the bright side, it should be easy to drive in.  (Until you hit the coral bedrock)

Keep punching, you'll make it.

Jim, I just can't help but stare at how spectacular your work is, BUT the photos quality is average at best. I'm certain it's not the first time you hear this but it would help sell your work if you had a pro photographer show your pieces as they truly are. 

Just my newbie 2 cents...

Joel:  Yeah....my photography sucketh..the only thing is  a pro takes weeks if not months of turn-=around and things usually don't stay around all that long (which is a good thing when you think about it).. Once I get back up and running I will pull a few of the spiffier things I have been working on aside and send one or two out for a professional job.. Right now though I have to get the place up and running...the Go Fund Me page is about at 20% of the goal!!  

On the construction front..The water line passed the pressure test and I THINK I got the electrical problem beat! Will know more about that injh the AM..

THANK YOU ALL once again for all the aid and support....If I survive this any and all of you are welcome to drop by for a visit when ever you are in the area..

THANK YOU !!

JPH

Congrats on the progress.   May your forging grounds release the squeal of sharpened steel through air and all matter in its path post haste. 

The sooner the vets get back to work,  the sooner we noobs might learn something new...

Thanks for the pics Jim. I've been bumping the FB post daily. Hopefully, we can get you back to work soon. You are of no use to anyone staring at an empty shell building!

Hello!~!~!

UPDATE...thanks to you all I have just about gotten to the 25% level on what I need to finish...THANK YOU all...and THANK YOU for continuing the  effort..It is appreciated...

On the construction..I solved the power problem..the additional ground rod  did the trick..no energizing the common on the 110/120 circuits...that was a real easy fix..It's raining here at the present so tomorrow I will see about getting the fill I need to finish the back fill and compression... as well as bringing the apron and walk around pad up to gr fade and then I can form them out, dig the isolation pad and then pour the whole magilla ..  After that it is finish the lights..put in the shelves and benches and the whatever else's and then back to Nevada and get my equipment!!~

Other news..I found three more PW pieces rummaging about unpacking the last of my boxes and they will be posted tomorrow to my web site as well as the two pattern welded "Dark Age" style sword blades...one in a Ladder Pattern and the other in a Maiden's Hair pattern.. GORGEOUS blades..these will be posted tomorrow as well..I will also post on the for sale pages here as well..

All in all I can see some end to this and I have all of you to thank.,...Now if we can keep the momentum and maybe get a few things sold off my site and I will be set!

THANK YOU so much for everything so far!

JPH

I have shared this on my Facebook profile and page as well. Good luck.

Ps: I started with The Complete Bladesmith as well :-)

Niels: THANK YOU!!

Looking on getting the fill I need so I can backfill and then grade....weather very wet here today but I can still arrange things and get the shelves started....

THANK YOU ALL once again for the support..That means a lot...

JPH