JPH

Latest Construction Photos and a Request for Aid

Glad to see the gofundme is still going up. How’s it going JPH?

Chas...and the rest of yas..

Got the fill delivered yesterday early AM,  the rest of the day I was playing a madman on a bobcat running around back filling and grading (and pulling out more #*&!!**#$#! ing roots as I graded) the area for the apron as well as filling that grand canyon sized depression in our driveway out by our front gate....I am going to need MORE fill..30 yards didn't quite do it...sigh...

On the schedule for today....  Finish wiring the lights and finish up the last 6  of 110/120 wall sockets.. I hate ladders so I will do the wall sockets first...  that should take me the rest of today to do... 

This weekend I will do the hose bib and get that last bit of trench back filled and then frame out the apron and walk around...then I will dig out the remaining dirt for the isolation pad and once that is done it will be time to pour the remaining mud..

After the mud is poured it is pretty much done building wise...then comes putting in all the shelves, work benches and tool racks as well as some sound proofing to help keep the racket down...

The Go Fund Me page is doing good..slowed down a wee bit but it is still moving.. I am amazed at the comments I have read..I had no idea..NO IDEA at all that my writing and my work has had such an impact on folks.  It is very humbling..and embarrassing as well... I am so grateful for the aid and if I could just sell a couple of the PW pieces on my web site I would be A-OK...  We are so close to getting this done I can smell it!!  I just want to be able to get back to work.. I feel totally useless....

Well I am off to get the last bit of electrical stuff done..hopefully I won't wind up a grease spot on the floor...

JPH

What is black, crispy and hangs form a light??  Me installing a light fixture,,,

DSC04717A.jpg

I’m glad to see the gofundme is still creeping up JPH. How’s the work coming along?

Chas:

Since you asked...the work is slowly progressing as funds come in..The Go Fund Me page has stalled..but I expected that to happen..we are about 2600 US $$ short of my goal..and well..if I can just get the word out a bit more maybe we can meet it..maybe even exceed it b y a few hundred as a "buffer"..

Work wise on the studio...I got the plumbing run up to the wall and today if the weather breaks I will punch a hole and do the inside hose bib then do the remaining back fill and level/grade for the rest of the concrete.. If it just rains I will put up the shelf brackets..

All that remains is the rest of the water (as mentioned..) the wee bit of back fill..get the light tubes up into the fixtures.. (I hate ladders..my knees are just so bad now...and going up and down is NO fun..but it's gotta get done) do the remaining concrete and then put up the shelves, tool racks and build the work benches.. and then the main building will be done...the two smaller outbuildings..well the first one  will be here mid this week and I still have to prep for that...but these are pretty much a lead pipe cinch when it comes down to it..the hardest part is doing the floor/base..Other than that..a chimp with a screw gun can get these together.. now does anyone know someone with a chimp?? I have the screw guns...

Once this is all over and done with I will be able ti get up to Nevada and get my stuff and then it's back here, set it all up and GET BACK TO WORK.. I am feeling really useless and worthless..all due to the fact that I haven't been able to make anything since December and well..I do not like feeling this way.. Now if I can just kick start that go fund me page that would help... I will be having a sale of the remaining pieces on my website starting tonight and that should , hopefully..send some lucre into my depleted coffers....

So that's the dope on that...Back to doing what I can.. More as things progress...

THANK YOU ALL once again...I am still amazed and humbled by this..

JPH

Hello:

A construction update...well I got the insulation installed..There is so much foil showing that I feel like the world's largest Hershey's Kiss...At least it is keeping all of those e-vile mind control rays out that the gubbermint  wants to use to control me....Yeah...that's my story and I am sticking to it...Plus it makes it almost too bright inside with all the lights on..all the reflection and SLTT...but it is done and now I can go onto the other stuff...

I already have a good start on the work benches... and I still have like 3 more to make...after that it is tool racks and shelves.

We also had the first outbuilding for storage placed..fit in nice and tidy behind the studio....

Anyway that is where we are at the moment..

Put up the new sale prices on my web site for the remaining few pieces...Hopefully I can move a few of those and that will put us over and ready to get the equipment moved down...

More as things happen...

JPH

DSC04726A.jpg

DSC04727A.jpg

DSC04723A.jpg

• Like 2

Hi JPH

Glad it’s coming along. I’ve contacted everyone I know who is into knives and not on the forum (not that many I’ll admit) about the gofundme but I see it has truly stalled now. Still, keep us updated. Good to see you are still kicking.

Update..

OK I am back from Nevada and I am not happy....My storage locker was broken into and the filthy rat bastards took all my raw materials they could find...all my L-6/15n20...my 1070 sheet.. all of my non ferrous guard/fitting stock...plus all my hand tools...My automotive wrenches..sockets sets..box/open end and torque wrenches..go..my bench mill ..gone..all the stuff they could walk off with that they could see... damn idiots.. what ever they could get their grimy, drug addicted, disease ridden hands on to sell they took..my electric sheet metal shears..my new plasma cutter that I didn't even get to use yet.. .. I am disgusted... 

At least they didn't get the 500 lbs of stag I had stashed at the back or the anvils...so..I guess I should be happy about that....but still...that is a major hit to take..

So I will be taking the next few days op unload and set up what is left and then figure out how top freight the power hammer and my fly press from there to here...

Just a update and I am still spitting nails...

JPH

• Sad 1

That's harsh, Jim.  :angry:  There are few lower forms of life than theives.

game cameras to get plates and face. They will be back.

Edited by Richard Furrer

Ugh. Really feel for you here. I haven't been on the forum at all much lately so didn't see this until now. The stolen tools are a major hit. 

I have a fairly large and very engaged media presence ( https://www.instagram.com/bladesofbelaq/ ) -  more as a young buck than anything else, but I think I can help circulate the gofundme a good bit. I'm not entirely familiar with the full extent of legacy though and would like to write up a concise but fully encompassing summary on your impact on the bladesmithing community. Is there anyone else here that can fill me in on the full impact? Especially other big names that have been affected by your work and who people would be familiar with. I'm looking into your writing right now

Edited by Caleb Harris

Caleb: What ever amount of help you can render is appreciated..as far as impact goes...you are asking the wrong man on that....I had no idea what impact I had (if any at all) until I started to read the comments on the go fund me page.. very humbling and I had no idea that I reached even 1/10th that amount of folks..

THANK YOU... 

JPH

"The thief left it behind- the moon at my window."

-Ryokan

@Caleb Harris I’m sure JPH’s impact is hard to quantify but finding ‘The Complete Bladesmith” was the catalyst for me going from ‘I wish I could make knives and swords’ to realising I could. I’m sure others have come unto this path through the same means. He creates excellent swords, knives, daggers, etc. Use an image search for some of his blades (sorry Jim, your own photos suck ;)).

As for the thief, I hope he loses at least one testicle in a freak tool-carrying incident.

Edited by Charles du Preez

On ‎6‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 6:46 AM, Alan Longmire said:

There are few lower forms of life than theives.

Now wait just a moment there Sir Longmire. Are you considering that thievery is an ageless and dignified occupation? Are you suggesting that the scum that attacked JPH is the same as our venerable Bilbo Baggins? Who in their right mind would put together a D&D campaign and NOT have a decent 5th level thief on board?  It's not what you steal, it's whom you steal from that matters. Stealing from Jeff Bezos is not the same as stealing from the 7-11 on the corner. Doctoring your income tax return might be considered thievery by some, but most Americans consider it a sport.

@JPH I am truly enraged by this news. There is nothing quite so violating as having someone steal your livelihood. 

• Like 1

Well said, Josh.

JPH: The plague of drug addict crime is truly becoming ridiculous. The good news is that Florida has extremely second amendment friendly home protection laws. The thieves are cowards, without exception. Make a show of force.  You know how to do this, Colonel. Lots of signs of a prepared defense. Cameras, signs announcing the armed occupants, dogs are great too. The carrion eaters seek out the weak and easy targets. Make them think: "not worth it" when they see your place so they move along.

• Thanks 1

I always liked that line from "A Bronx Tale"- "Now youse can't leave."

You should update your gofundme with the break-in information

Sir Joshua is correct.  Liberating objects from the forces of evil is fine and noble when done to prevent further evil.  Ripping off somebody's tools so you can pawn them for a few grams of meth, heroin, crack, or whatever the idiots are doing out there these days deserves immediate and permanent banishment from the gene pool.  Either execution or castration with a spork, depending on the severity of the offense / subhumanness of the perpetrator.

And Jim, Caleb is right, you should mention that.  

And Caleb:  Jim is pretty much the reason many of us from the pre-internet era are doing this to begin with.  That's a fair impact, no? B)

Right on! I reposted it, hopefully it gets some good traction and spread around a bit. A lot of people have recognized and read the book so far. 

Oh also JPH; there's a young man (about 17) who's got the fire in his belly, who messaged me and said he's in the area you're moving too. It sounds like he'd be very happy to help out what he can with the shop, to support another bladesmith and get some knowledge rubbed off on him. I pointed him to your website so he may contact you soon. 

Hello:

Been doing shelves and other prep work...still rather upset at this whole mess...I figure I got hit for close to 10 large with all the tooling and materials..I had a couple of three grand or so in bronze, copper and german silver alone...plus the mill and the roll aways with all those hand tools.. damn I am just....gggggrrrrr..I want 10 minutes alone with these guys..just 10 minutes alone with a soldering iron and a pair of pliers...

Built a new lathe stand and got the lathe up on it....the press stand will be next week... 

As far as taking measures.. with the new place we are way off the beaten path..we are some 125 yards off the road..down a long and well hidden driveway.. Hells Bells...UPS and FedEx needs a GPS  to find us...one way in and one way out.... The dogs let us know when someone is about and so do the pea fowl....they start up a racket..so we are more or less "in the jungle away from folks" and we like it that way.. I am going to put up my Checkpoint Charley sign on the way out....Plus I have a rather nasty surprise in the studio and to be honest I am either heeled or I am within two to three steps from a sidearm at all times... No I am not paranoid but when you put as many  less than stellar folks in the slammer as I have..you take precautions...

Oh man..this just burns my cookies.... I am updating my go fund me with this new info...geeze...I am wondering what is this world coming to??

JPH

Edited by JPH

Just saw your update on the breakin via your GoFundMe page (and realized I wasn't following you here; fixing that now).  How disheartening.  Few things are lower than stealing tools.

--Amanda

JPH,

So sorry about the tools and stock theft.  The desert is becoming a more and more lawless place by the day.     May I suggest feeding some gators to keep them near your new place in the swamp ?   Great for garbage disposal.   I'm also a big fan of spikes on anything and everything everywhere.  I do hope you are back up and running soon.  I often struggle with the constant thought of knives unmade or unfinished.   Sucks when you can't do what you want to be doing for whatever reason.   Wish I had more to offer in way of funds.     But when book four comes out,  I myself and I think many of us here will be on that waiting list.

Best of luck to you Sir.

-Bruno

Hello:

Well I am still plugging along as best I can trying to get everything set up./. The moving people said it'll be another 10 days before they will be able to get me my hammer, fly press and mill to me.. In the mean time I will be finishing up the press stand (see pic) tomorrow as well as getting the frame up onto that stand....This should prove interesting doing that all by my lonesome...

As it is I am pretty much dead in the water..but I will make it somehow...hopefully my go fund me page will jump start...I am so freakin' close to being set up I can taste it...Even without the hammer and fly press I can still do ALOT of stuff until they get here.but I have to get setting up finished..  What a PITA...

Anyway that's where we are at down here in the Jungle...

JPH

DSC04747A.jpg

Hi JPH.

Thanks for the update. Man, if I lived anywhere near you I’d come and give you a hand. What’s the holdup with the big tools?

Chas:

the hold up is with the freight company..They originally told me the 26th...I could live with that as I will be all set up and ready for the rest before then.. Well they called the day after they picked the stuff up and said the 30th ..the 26th was a mistake due to the weight of the shipment (3700lbs.. not even two tons.. the hammer and press make up about 1/2 of that...the rest is wood, bone, stag and other materials./supplies ).. 4 days may not sound like a long time but it is to me since I have not been able to work since December due to construction delays and all...but I should be back up on a limited basis here in the next two days...Still it would be nice if folks would keep to what they said they would do...

So..back out bolting down grinders.. spent another little bit jockeying them around a bit to make sure they are where I want them cause once they are bolted down that is where they stay!!

Pics will follow in a bit

JPH