Got all my stuff together this weekend and finally build my coal Forge. I need something pushing a little more air I think. If you see something I'm doing wrong or have any advise I would love to hear it. Brand new to all this. Thanks!

20180416_204026.mp4

Welcome aboard!

I used to have that same grill, great little things they are.  You could use a larger pipe sending air into the thing, but the two things that jump out at me are these: you need a much deeper fire with smaller chunks of charcoal, and I sure hope that wrench wasn't plated.  Forging plated steel can do bad things to you and anyone close enough to breathe the fumes, not to mention the forge itself.and the steel itself.  Go down to the Shop Safety subforum and read the pinned thread "things you might not know can kill you."  

Other than that, have fun and make cool stuff!  What are you using for an anvil?

11 minutes ago, Alan Longmire said:

Welcome aboard!

I used to have that same grill, great little things they are.  You could use a larger pipe sending air into the thing, but the two things that jump out at me are these: you need a much deeper fire with smaller chunks of charcoal, and I sure hope that wrench wasn't plated.  Forging plated steel can do bad things to you and anyone close enough to breathe the fumes, not to mention the forge itself.and the steel itself.  Go down to the Shop Safety subforum and read the pinned thread "things you might not know can kill you."  

Other than that, have fun and make cool stuff!  What are you using for an anvil?

Hey Alan! Thanks for the Welcome and knowledge. I had noticed after the video when the chunks of coal had broken apart a little bit that I was getting a Much better flame, I'll definitely be breaking them down more from now on. My anvil is a 1.5 ft or so section of old I beam that I got from the PCL Construction place down the road. Working great so far.... well, as far as I can tell haha, I'm still new. As far as the plated wrench.... I have no idea. It was a mostly rusted POS I found sitting in the garage. I will probably just chunk it and start over. No need in causing my any harm. I know you mentioned using a bigger pipe, do you think increasing air flow would have the same effect or should I just bite the bullet and change it. I welded it in place so changing it now would be a pain.  Ill go check out the safety forum when I get home tonight (probably should have started there) , getting off work soon but I gotta admit, I was really excited to see a response already! Couldn't wait to reply. Thank you for your Info! I hope to posting a lot more soon!

Jonathan

Charcoal likes air volume better than air pressure, so yeah, a bigger pipe.  

Well shit..... guess I know what I'm doing next weekend. 

Thanks again for the help. What is a good first project? I can't Believe what a stress reliever this hobby is. I guess beating the hell outta something with a hammer is therapeutic to me haha. I see myself doing a lot with this skill once I get going, but I would like to know that you suggest as a good first project

For my first project I made some hooks. There pretty easy to do.

I'll always recommend making tongs for beginner projects.  

Thanks fellas. I know I need to add a bigger pipe for air, but no time till this weekend. I think I can manage some hooks with the way its running now, and I'll look around to see if i can find some plans, or videos on making some tongs. Thanks again

There is a great thread pinned in the Tools and Tool Making section for tongs.  

52 minutes ago, Jerrod Miller said:

There is a great thread pinned in the Tools and Tool Making section for tongs.  

Great, I'll give it a look tonight. While I have your attention though, Ive been reading about quenching oil. What i found is that there are many types of oil that can be used. Some are better than others but I want to use cooking oil, as I think it is my cheapest option over using old motor oil. I want to use Canola oil cause I can get 5 gallons for dirt cheap. What Im wondering is, one, is Canola oil ok, and two, is USED filter canola oil ok?

Fresh canola is great.  At around 130 degrees F it is the equivalent of a medium-speed industrial quench oil.  Used canola may be a bit unpredictable in quench speed since it's slightly polymerized from heat, but the upside is it makes the shop smell like french fries.  Or, given your location, seafood...

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, Alan Longmire said:

Fresh canola is great.  At around 130 degrees F it is the equivalent of a medium-speed industrial quench oil.  Used canola may be a bit unpredictable in quench speed since it's slightly polymerized from heat, but the upside is it makes the shop smell like french fries.  Or, given your location, seafood...

Hushpuppies man! Thanks for all the help everyone, I cant wait to finish and post my first knife!

Edited by JonWilliamsOBX

Taking Alan's comment to the next step, consider what alloy you are using.  There are some that are more forgiving than others when it comes to speed.  If you are using 5160 (or similar), a little unpredictability is probably fine.  Something where a medium oil is borderline anyway, you may not want to mess with something that is unknown, when fresh is still pretty cheap.  

Just realised I never posted my knife, unfortunately it's not finished. As we all know life gets the best of us sometimes. Our daughter was born a little earlier than we expected and with Summer rolling right in after that work kind of took priority over any potential projects. But with winter around the corner and cooler temperatures outside and obviously my daughter's health, I've started working on an area outside where I can start doing this a little more often. Look forward to posting more again soon. As far as the knife it was an old chilling blade from a John Deere tractor. To be honest I didn't do a whole lot more then beat it into a flat shape and shape the handle as much as I could. Still being pretty new to this I did do quite a bit of grinding to get the shape. Definitely got some metal to move as I don't feel the handle is quite long enough but I do really enjoy the shape. I have a small landscaping business I do on the side of my full-time job and thought this would be a neat knife to make into a kind of Axe butcher knife combo. Cutting down small trees or limbs. Let me know what you think, I know it's pretty novice work but other than online forums, YouTube, and forged in fire,  I don't have a lot to go off.

20180608_221339.jpg

Hmmm. The handle looks a little short and the curve a bit severe for that. Obviously it still needs scales but how does it feel in the hand so far?

On 10/29/2018 at 6:01 PM, Charles du Preez said:

Hmmm. The handle looks a little short and the curve a bit severe for that. Obviously it still needs scales but how does it feel in the hand so far?

Well I got it hot and straightened out the handle which added a little length, but it's definitely a little short. I was planning on using it sort of like a small axe. I do landscaping and find myself going to my hand held stuff over the chain saw a lot. I've got a few rail road ties I've been working on too. Burnt the first few to a crisp, but gotta learn somehow ya know.