Alan Longmire

Rare artifact of the kingdom of Norssex, via Gallifrey

Finally, a use for Sponge Bob.

I'll have you know Spongebob is the guardian of my pipe tobacco.  He makes a great humidor, being, well, a sponge. 

• Like 1

I have no idea how I managed to miss this thread until today. What an inspiring project Sir Alan. You are as gifted for the story as you are for the blade.

Fantastic! Thanks for adding in the bits about how you did the pseudo-garnet work. I never would have thought to use different temp solder in the work flow like that, genius! 

• Like 1

Thanks again, gentlemen!  I think my fingers have finally recovered. 

I don't know how but I managed to miss this thread. Très beau travail monsieur!

Very nice fusion between the styles, unmistakably Saxon, unmistakably Scottish.

How does the nugold tarnish?  I've been considering using some.

And still more thanks!

George, the Nu-gold tarnishes much like brass, but stays a bit tinny-looking, if that makes sense.  I pickle it in a mix of hot hydrogen peroxide, vinegar, and citric acid (aka paracetic acid), which is better for brass than Sparex or pH-down.  It comes out bright pink, because the acid attacks the zinc long before it touches the copper.  A little scratch-brushing with a wire wheel on a dremel or Foredom flex shaft and it looks very much like 14 karat gold.  After a month or two in the shop atmosphere of coal smoke and pipe tobacco smoke, it darkens a bit, but not much.  Flitz seems to keep further tarnish at bay indefinitely.  Or a month at least, that's as long as this has been in the world.  That said, I do have a couple of plaques I made in 2015 that are barely dulled, and look more like 10k gold.  No green fuzz yet!

Two fun facts about paracetic acid, or straight citric acid for that matter: It turns bright blue-green when exhausted, and with a fresh batch you can take a copper-plated zinc penny and remove the zinc core in a week or so, leaving behind only a thin shell of copper that still looks like a penny, but is nearly weightless. It's also relatively nontoxic and doesn't stink.  The downside is it degrades rapidly with exposure to air and light, so you have to mix up a fresh batch every few days.  But it's cheap.  3% hydrogen peroxide mixed half and half with Heinz cleaning vinegar (distilled white vinegar at 6% acidity).  Warm it up and dissolve dry citric acid crystals, available in the pickling supply section of the grocery store, until it's saturated. When it seems to quit working, a fresh shot of H2O2 and citric acid revives it for a few hours.  When it's a beautiful clear aquamarine color it's past refreshing. 

• Thanks 1

Et merci beaucoup, Joel!

John, the descending flow temperatures of solder are of great use in jewelry-type work.  If you don't already have a copy, I highly recommend "The Complete Metalsmith" by Tim McCreight.  It is geared towards jewelers, but has tons of useful tips and tricks that are of great assistance in bladesmithing.

Alan,

Creative and really striking. I like it a lot! The pommel is cool. Not your fault you have too much style for just one timeline.

Glad I stopped in to see this.

Thanks for the recommendation, I'll hunt down a copy!

I love it!  I'm a big fan of could-have-been creations like this.  You did a great job of evolving the anglo saxon style toward scottish dirks.  I also really like the way you did the garnets - it's the original technique just with different materials - I don't think you can't get any closer to real for this side of a king's ransom.

• Thanks 1

Thank you sir!  :D  That means a lot to me coming from you.  And Eldana, of course!  

Tell the doctor that the pommel looks very much like a Sonnenrad  or black sun symbol. Perhaps it also has continental influence or the maker is/was aware of such symbols from previous work pieces. ;) 

Alan this is really a stellar work! One of these days I will have to visit so you can show me how you do this! I'm a big fan! Man the lines are just perfect but I think maybe my favorite touch is the pieces on the sheath! they just hit the right spot for me!