Sign in to follow this  
Mason Simonet

Anybody use McMaster-Carr 11 sec oil?

I’ve been planning to upgrade from canola oil to a commercial quench oil. Parks 50 is to expensive plus it’s so hard to find.

anybody have any experience with how McMaster-Carr 11 sec works with 1084?

Thanks

Mason

That's what I use. Works great, and I haven't noticed any issues.

And on top of that, Parks 50 is ONLY for water-quench steels.  It's too fast for deep-hardening steels like 1084, 5160, 80CrV2, and so on.  If you're not going for hamon on 1075, 1095, or W1/W2, you don't need Parks 50.

I use it, and is seems fine.  Most of my blades are a 50/50 mix of 1095 and 15N20.  They harden well in it.

However, I can't honestly say that they are hardening any better than when I used canola, and there are some things I didn't like when I first switched to the 11-sec oil.  It flames up, which never happened with canola.  It also stinks up the shop a lot worse.

Without any means of actually testing hardness, I often wonder if the canola wasn't just as good for the steel I use.

130° canola is around 10.5 secs. Just a tad faster. Houghton mentions it as the best vegetal quenchant in terms of stability in their pdf.

Some people quench 80CrV2 in parks50 without problems. It has only 0.3% manganese and 0.5% chromium. I wonder if you get 100% hardness though...

• Thanks 1

Thanks guys. I’m switching because I felt I wasent getting the full potential in the steel... but that was with admirals 1080, and I just ordered Aldo’s 1084. 

Ill see how it goes with the 1084 and canola, then I’ll decide if I want to switch.

thanks again 

Mason