WIP, Heavy duty camp Knife

we all appreciate the time it takes to do that! what a great learning experience. Thanks for the hard work, looks beautiful!!

2 hours ago, t cudworth said:

we all appreciate the time it takes to do that! what a great learning experience. Thanks for the hard work, looks beautiful!!

Thanks!

I just finished up sharpening it.

EED3C4CF-05BF-4CEC-986F-A2C0E7109DCD.jpeg

I’m using king water stones. I have the 220–800 stone and the 1000–6000 stone.

B35B721E-44A2-4197-8FF3-CE6228A73254.jpeg

I start by sharpening the first side with 220 until there is a burr on the other side.

F2AD1D9B-E67B-41BA-9B33-67F016CA6B50.jpeg

then I sharpen the other side until not just a burr forms but until it looks even with the first side.

ED1BC1CD-F997-4806-82CD-DB1DB598CC9A.jpeg

Now I move up to 800, I sharpen each side until a burr forms.

F99A8A00-ABC9-4BCD-8ED7-E1249A7BBC46.jpeg

then I repeat with 2000.

6640A40F-09BF-4CAB-BF88-129EC2FE5F59.jpeg

now I repeat with 6000. After I have a burr form on each side, I finish it by passing it over the stone rotating once on each side. I do this about 10 times per side.

46DFD5BC-954B-4EFB-977E-061F696E14C0.jpeg

now it has a shaving sharp edge, I would show some proof but I’m running out of hair on my legs :lol:

I’ll post some better pics maybe tomorrow if it’s not raining.

thanks for looking! 

Edited by Mason Simonet
  • Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

wow sure like the way you did it from start to finish.  thanks for all the pics and directions.   :)

gave me lots of ideas on how to make the sheath for the big camp knife that I am making.  long ways away from the sheath though.

keep it up the great work mason

Robert aka bob

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

Good job on this,its tough to make a WIP,I never finished one. I don't post much ,but come to get tips often, and for me there is no better "tips" than WIPs! .I will be coming back to look back as I want to make a similar sheath soon.Thanks

Good job on this,its tough to make a WIP,I never finished one. I don't post much ,but come to get tips often, and for me there is no better "tips" than WIPs! .I will be coming back to look back as I want to make a similar sheath soon.Thanks