Sign in to follow this  
Jeremy Blohm

Tong obsession.

I probably could have gotten a little further on this but i went fishing all morning so this is what i have done for today.

IMG_20180507_162557.jpg

Edited by Jeremy Blohm
Changed title.

It might be a couple days before i can continue with these so please be patient.

I should have clarified the size and dimensions of the steel to start with.20180504_230757.thumb.jpg.8adbf1b72c429e028f313ff72e95a89f.jpg

I cut 2-6 inch sections to start. And now thatbim looking at it i started isolating the "boss" the wrong way. Luckily i caught it early.

On 5/7/2018 at 5:22 PM, Jeremy Blohm said:

IMG_20180507_162557.jpg

download (1).jpeg

Edited by Jeremy Blohm

Looks like tomorrow i will have some hammer time so i can get the boss squared away and start the other half.

So i started drawing out the reigns 20180510_091504.jpg20180510_093005.jpg20180510_095809.jpg

and i split the bit. Then trying to square off the bit catastrophe struck. This is what i get for working it too cold.20180510_112318.jpg

time to start over.

Edited by Jeremy Blohm

Started as 2"x3/8"x6" 20180510_090436.jpg started drawing down to 1 1/2"x1/2"20180510_091641.jpg20180510_092656.jpg started isolating the jaws 20180510_093136.jpg20180510_100435.jpg then the boss20180510_102759.jpghere it is with the other side before i ruined it.20180510_103156.jpg and i need to make or buy more charcoal. This is where i am now. Basically back to square one.20180510_110927.jpg

I have to say it is kinda fun working on some more complicated things than just making knives. Any suggestions that would make them better would be appreciated. 

20180528_171618.jpg20180528_172037.jpgStill have to do some finishing up and set the rivet and bend the jaws to shape. But I have to make some more charcoal before I can do any more. 

I'm going to make another set but mark out the dimensions to make them more even. These ones I just estimated and they didn't even come out close. But I can make them work just fine.

A viable starting stock size is 1x3/8x9"
Leave the boss at the parent stock size.
Layout everything with center punch marks before you begin forging.

• Like 1

This sounds a lot easier than drawing the stock down. I got this because I was at Lowes or HD or something and this was the size they had. I am going to get my power hammer back up and running in the next week or 2 and it won't be such a task to draw that much out.

Making center punch marks is a good idea. Makes everything more uniform.

You're still going to draw the stock down but it should be easier at 3/8x1 than at the dimension you had.
You can find a steel yard near you and they should carry that dimension.
The point is that the boss is left basically 1x1x3/8 then you draw the reighn at a taper to the end from the boss so it goes from say half inch at the shoulder of the boss to 1/4 at the end of the reign and the leg that goes to the bit is also half by 3/8 and the bit is left in the full dimension of 1.25x1x3/8
So the bit and the boss stay in the parent dimension.
and the leg to the bit stays the same thickness and the reign tapers.
You keep it forged square and at the end break the corners and basically forge the reign to an octagon.
This makes a more comfortable grip and leaves no sharp corners and you can do this with every part by just knocking the corners in a little so its attractive and more finished looking.

• Thanks 1

So you can see with these that they are tapered and the corners are broken producing an octagon that is flater on the sides and bottoms but the corners are flat too.https://www.ballardforge.com/tools

And you can see clearly here that the corners are broken and see the tapers begin.
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/368802656978115111/

Edited by JJ Simon

Thank you i am going to head to the steel yard tomorrow and grab some material. I have a feeling this is going to turn into a tong obsession.

Making tongs is a very good blacksmithing exercise.
The ability to forge offsets, taper properly, keep things in the parent dimension and the rest are all very good skills to have.
Learn how to use your anvil for half face blows and use the bick to draw out material quicker and work hot.
Also tongs have a lateral offset too.
So when you forge them and put them together as a test fit you'll notice they don't line up.
The bit and its shank need to kick to one side.
What I do is lock the boss in the vice with the bit facing down, grab the bit with a set of tongs and keep it in the center line and then hit the shank to the left with the cross peen.
I do this with both sides of the tong and both to left while facing down.
That way when you flip the part to match its sister both bits should be close to lining up.
Once they are riveted you open them all the way then lock the boss in the vice again from the top and bottom not from the sides and align the bits together.
Then grab a piece of the size stock the tong should hold.
Lock the bit and the stock in the vice and open your reigns to the right amount for you to have a tight but comfortable grip.
I have a thread on here somewhere of building a set of bladesmiths tongs that show it all.

• Thanks 1

I will do a google search an fry to gind your thread. Do you remember what the topic title is?

As it happens, Nick Rossi just posted a great video on making tongs to the NESM YouTube channel: 

• Thanks 1

This is a great video. These are next in the list.or if i have enough material to offset these and make them blade tongs i might do that but i dont think i do. I like how he used the hardie to isolate the jaw.

3/4 round or square stock is easier to user this project IMO.

• Like 1

I will look for it....i went to the junk yard today and got some stuff for my power hammer today and i found a piece of steel 1/2 inch by 1 inch by 36 inches and looks like brand new. 

Well i finished these up a few days ago and have been hesitant about posting the picture but i figure why not. There is about 2 dozen things ican think of to improve. I have another bar of steel more suited for the task and will make another pair soon. 1532360545908-518622748.jpg

About the only thing i did right is the rivet.

Not bad at all, actually.  I see the one jaw is a little longer, and the split jaws themselves are a bit thin, but that's better than many people end up on their first try at that style.  Myself included. :lol:  

• Thanks 1

Thanks alan that makes me feel a little better 

..and of course, the more you make, the better you get.

• Like 1