Tidr Tonn - "Tooth of Time"

Alright, so I've finally wrapped up this project.

This is Tidr Tonn - the Tooth of Time. It is a knife meant to be worn with traditional Norwegian folk garments for special occasions.

Knife weight: 190 grams
Blade length: 11cm
Blade thickness: 3,5 - 1mm
Hardness at edge: 58 HRC
Handle length: 10cm

The blade body is made from two forge folded and twisted bars of railroad steel (30 layers), and the edge is made out of ferrier's rasps and 15n20. (70 layers)

The handle is made from 4,5 billion year old meteorite iron, 7260 year old Siberian bog oak, 10-30 000 year old mammoth ivory, 925 sterling silver and vulcanized fiber.

Tidr Tonn 02.jpg

Tidr Tonn 03.jpg

Tidr Tonn 01.jpg

Tidr Tonn 04.jpg

All comments and feedback are greatly appreciated. :)

• Like 3

Oh wow. 

Right, I’ve been sat staring at the photos a few minutes and I can’t think of anything else to add. I’ll stick to my first comment.

• Like 1

Wow indeed!

Very nice damascus steel and I don't think I have seen a cooler bolster material than widmanstatten pattern meteorite.:blink:

The mammoth almost reminds me of a dark galaxy where the meteorite came from, but maybe I read too much sci-fi haha.

The only small nitpick I have is that your logo seems a bit big for this knife.

• Like 1

Yeah, what they said, wow!

That bolster material is very striking.  There is something about how clean the line between the edge bar and the spine is that really grabs my attention as well.

• Like 1

Looks like a great piece of workmanship....any Norwegian would be happy to wear that for special occasions

• Like 1

WOW!......I don't even know what to say.. you are truly a master of your craft Sir. The is one beautiful knife.:)

• Like 1

Outstanding design, masterfully executed. The handle is the definition of awesome. 

Edited by Will W.
Grammar
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On ‎5‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 1:16 PM, pieter-pauld said:

The only small nitpick I have is that your logo seems a bit big for this knife.

Yeah, I really should get some smaller stencils for smaller knives... ^_^

On ‎5‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 11:08 AM, larsjacobsen said:

....may I ask where you get your meteorite iron .? 

E-Bay of course! :lol:

• Thanks 1

I suppose, if you can't afford new material, you can get away with using whatever old stuff you have laying around.............:huh:

Seriously, I love the intense feeling of age beyond antiquity that it evokes. The "newest and best of ancient materials" as it were.

• Like 1

I like it a lot. The bolsters are very cool. One of the best uses of meteorite I've seen.

Also, great job in getting the edge bar to parallel the cutting edge. I like this because it can't be faked by stock removal guys that just order pattern weld barstock (I'm not trying to re-kindle the tired, old stock-removal-vs-forging discussion . . . just saying I think it's cool to have a technique in the blade that demonstrates that you're actually a smith and not just a producer of dust.)

My two suggestions for improvement would be:

1: As already stated, the logo dominates  the blade. Logos should be like beauty marks on a woman's face. 

2: I think this blade deserves a better etch. You've got a nicely contrasting pattern and multi-bar weld going, the pattern should pop. I see some pitting on this, which seems to indicate a too-strong FC etch.  I can't remember if this was the blade from another thread in which we discussed proper etching technique.  If so, sorry to repeat.  If not, you may want look that one up.

But, these are minor improvements. Very well done, man.

Cheers,

Dave

• Thanks 1
On ‎5‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 5:50 AM, Dave Stephens said:

I like it a lot. The bolsters are very cool. One of the best uses of meteorite I've seen.

...and not just a producer of dust.)

My two suggestions for improvement would be:

1: As already stated, the logo dominates  the blade. Logos should be like beauty marks on a woman's face. 

2: I think this blade deserves a better etch. You've got a nicely contrasting pattern and multi-bar weld going, the pattern should pop. I see some pitting on this, which seems to indicate a too-strong FC etch.  I can't remember if this was the blade from another thread in which we discussed proper etching technique.  If so, sorry to repeat.  If not, you may want look that one up.

Haha, Thanks man!

I think "Dust Producer" should be a protected title. ;)

Yeah, I will get some smaller logos. Need to order from overseas, so there's a good chance there will be one more knife with equally large logo.. we will see.

As for the etch.. yeah, it was discussed in another thread. 

I just got a comission for another knife, and I will use the 2nd half of the same bar I used for this one. So this time I will dilute the acid, and do a proper etch and get nice, clean good looking contrast. ;)