What do you use to cut sandpaper to fit your disc grinder.

Hello all.

I have been out of the shop for too long. Originally it was due to health problems but now I am nearly back to normal and have been itching to get back to hammering on steel. 

Coming back to the shop, I have been focusing on refining my techniques and also making various tools to help me with things that would frustrate me for one reason or another

One of those frustrating things for me was cutting my 9x11 sandpaper down to fit my 9" disc grinder. I may be in the minority here but I use my disc grinder a lot and go through lots of sandpaper on it. So I would stick the whole sheet on the disc with some feathering adhesive then use a utility razor blade to cut the sandpaper around the edge of the disc. Well it worked sorta okay but that blade would dull really fast and I'd be taking it apart flipping it around and then replacing blades pretty regularly. So I was sitting in the shop a couple days ago and thought that I would hammer out a quick razor blade with a chisel edge on it. I had never done a chisel edge so figured it would be fun. About an hour later, I was heat treating it.

So my question is, what do you guys use to cut your sandpaper down to size?

Here's the little blade I made, cuts through sandpaper like hot butter and I can sharpen it back up real quick. Pretty happy with it so far. The reason the plunge was at an angle is that I made an errant hammer blow and decided to leave it. When I got into grinding I thought I'd just cover it up by making the angled plunge. Then I got tired of dealing with it and ignored. I skipped my usual fit and finish steps since this is just a shop tool and its going to get resharpened frequently.

I put, what I would consider, a shop-tool style handle on it and a quick brass ferrule. 

Forged out of cruforge v

20180513_132339-1110x654.jpg20180513_132457-841x784.jpg

Edited by Cody Killgore

It's a nice knife.  But why cut the sand paper when you can get the sand paper disc rounds to fit the grinding wheel to size?  But nice knife though.

8 hours ago, AndyB said:

It's a nice knife.  But why cut the sand paper when you can get the sand paper disc rounds to fit the grinding wheel to size?  But nice knife though.

8 hours ago, Cody Killgore said:

Because it is wayyyyyyyy cheaper

Not only cheaper, but you can use Rhynowet Red on your disk grinder, which is about the best sandpaper there is.  I use the hell out of my disk grinder.  I flatten bevels and tangs on it.  I use ti for squaring up stuff, or cutting an angle into multiple pieces.  I did dovetailed bolsters using my disk grinder and it was easy peasey with the grinder table.

But to answer your questions, I made a crappy drawknife a long time ago that sucks at being a drawknife, but is great at being a disk grinder sandpaper cutter.

And it no where looks as good as the tool  you made above.  That is really nice clean work. 

Edited by Wes Detrick
33 minutes ago, Wes Detrick said:

Not only cheaper, but you can use Rhynowet Red on your disk grinder, which is about the best sandpaper there is.  I use the hell out of my disk grinder.  I flatten bevels and tangs on it.  I use ti for squaring up stuff, or cutting an angle into multiple pieces.  I did dovetailed bolsters using my disk grinder and it was easy peasey with the grinder table.

But to answer your questions, I made a crappy drawknife a long time ago that sucks at being a drawknife, but is great at being a disk grinder sandpaper cutter.

And it no where looks as good as the tool  you made above.  That is really nice clean work. 

The only downside is my belt and disc sanders is from harbor freight lol the disc paper doesn’t even stick to the wheel lol I would have probably never cut my own rounds but I guess if you look at it you’re also saving some money in the long run maybe I should give that a whirl lol