350 lb power hammer build

Well I was high bidder and I was going to do everything in my power to win this bench. The top of the bench is solid cast steel 6 inches thick, 36 I inches wide, and 72 inches long. Steel weight by dimensions calculator estimates 4411 lbs If I remember right. It was going to be the anvil for my power hammer but the auction has been canceled due to legal reasons. This sucks!!!:(

b46cc4b3b3c2c6c7bb5d72b4b0ea2b13.jpeg

https://bid.orbitbid.com/auctions

Edited by Jeremy Blohm
Changed title
  • Sad 1
  • Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Lift with your legs, not your back!  

Well I was high bidder and I was going to do everything in my power to win this bench. The top of the bench is solid cast steel 6 inches thick, 36 I inches wide, and 72 inches long. Steel weight by di

Sorry dude, sucks when you do everything right and still get screwed by the fates......they are fickle, fickle creatures.

Posted Images

• 6 months later...

After 3 years of searching for the right deal to fall into my lap I finally found the right block of steel and won it for only $210. After some rough estimates I'm guessing it to be around 5580 lbs or so. This will be the anvil for a power hammer in the making. 56f23d4096c2ab58fcdd39da93493f86.jpeg

There is a company that rents equipment a few miles from my house but I dont think i can handle driving a sky trac all the way here. Maybe I can convince my brother to do it for me. Then again I'm not sure i can afford renting a piece of equipment after paying for and transporting it home.

Hopefully my 3/4 ton suburban can haul it

29 minutes ago, Jeremy Blohm said:

There is a company that rents equipment a few miles from my house but I dont think i can handle driving a sky trac all the way here. Maybe I can convince my brother to do it for me. Then again I'm not sure i can afford renting a piece of equipment after paying for and transporting it home.

Hopefully my 3/4 ton suburban can haul it

Lol sky tracs are tricky to drive since they can swivel in the middle lol.  But once you get the hang of it they’re pretty easy to handle.  They handle kind of like a slow moving tractor. Just takes some getting use to.

Edited by AndyB

I used to work for a heavy equipment dealer fixing tires for a couple years after high school. I got a lot of experience running equipment working there. Had a lot of fun too. 

I have been thinking about this block of steel. I wonder what it would be like to forge a blade on it. It would make one helluva striking anvil!!!

Well Jeremy, that just might be the heaviest base/anvil I’ve ever seen for a shop built powerhammer!

If your hammer still isn’t stable and efficient it definitely WONT be because you skimped on materials!!!!!!!

• Like 1
12 hours ago, Jeremy Blohm said:

That's a very good question.....I haven't figured that out yet.

Lift with your legs, not your back!  ;)

Edited by Jerrod Miller
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'm still in a back brace from my back surgery 2 months ago....no lifting for me. 

Edited by Jeremy Blohm

Do you have a trailer that can carry the weight? I have moved a few milling machines in the mid 3k range by hiring a heavy tow truck to lift it while I slid the trailer under it. This being a good deal heavier, Im not sure what the wreckers limits are but might be worth looking into.

• Like 1

Shane makes a good point. When I got my milling machine and lathe from a guy 20 minutes away from me, I paid a tow truck to meet me at the guy's house. We loaded up the machines, rolling on some pipes I had, on his flatbed. He drove them to my house and helped me unload. He only asked for around a hundred bucks. Seemed like a deal to me especially since he was extremely helpful in getting that stuff loaded/unloaded.

• Like 1

I am renting a trailer that is capable of 14,000 lbs and has surge brakes. I'm more worried about my truck. I have a 3/4 ton suburban with a 454 ci engine. I think it can do it.

Its flat until I get in into oceana county. We have some pretty big rolling hills. Nothing like mountains but definitely not flat. 

22 minutes ago, Jeremy Blohm said:

Its flat until I get in into oceana county. We have some pretty big rolling hills. Nothing like mountains but definitely not flat. 

Be glad you don't live in my state lol.  Mountains and hills every where.  Heck you have to go up a hill to get to my house lol.  Not a big one though.

Wish me luck!!! I'm not 100% sure how big this thing is. I'm hoping it's not something crazy like 15,000 lbs. If that's the case I'm just going to hire a scrap yard to go pick it up and collect a check from the damn thing. I only paid $251 for it and then $100 for a trailer  and $80 to fill up my truck so I could break even just scraping it. 

Edited by Jeremy Blohm

So its quite a bit smaller than I thought but that's better than being heavier. The total weight is 3800 lbs but that is still heavy enough for what I wanna use it for and I made it home without incident.

The 14,000 lb trailer was a little over kill but it was the same price to rent this one as it would be to rent a 7,000 lb trailer. I was able to cruise at 70 mph the whole way home. It looked a lot bigger In there pictures than in person.

Resized_20181130_170533.jpeg

It still looks big in the picture. Holy cow the possibilities with that one!!