350 lb power hammer build

I'm a little unsure as to why you need such a huge piece of steel for a power hammer that's gonna hammer one particular area.. all the ones I have seen have a much smaller surface area than that on which to rest the work piece..

Edited by Leroy Hill
  • Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Lift with your legs, not your back!  

Well I was high bidder and I was going to do everything in my power to win this bench. The top of the bench is solid cast steel 6 inches thick, 36 I inches wide, and 72 inches long. Steel weight by di

Sorry dude, sucks when you do everything right and still get screwed by the fates......they are fickle, fickle creatures.

Posted Images

These are all the parts I have acquired over the last 3 years preparing to build this and now that I have the anvil it is set in steel.:D

Here is the cylinders I purchased from an online auction for $114 for the pair.Resized_20181130_190958.jpegResized_20181130_191005.jpeg

here is the main compressor. It is a 10 hp 60 gallon rotary screw compressor. I bought this at auction for $185. I need to build a big rotary phase converter because it is 3 phase. But I have a 3 phase belt sander and a 3 phase hydraulic pump I'm going to run off of it also.

Resized_20181130_191111.jpeg

And 2 other 3 hp 60 gallon compressors that both need motors that will be additional air supply in case the 10 hp cant keep up.Resized_20181130_191711.jpeg

1 hour ago, Leroy Hill said:

I'm a little unsure as to why you need such a huge piece of steel for a power hammer that's gonna hammer one particular area.. all the ones I have seen have a much smaller surface area than that on which to rest the work piece..

This block of steel will be stood on end and there will be holes drilled and tapped to accept different dies just like the larger power hammers except they have dove tails milled into the main anvil to accept the dies.

I'm planning on doing a mini version of this.

images (11).jpeg

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, Jeremy Blohm said:

Finally I was able to get a picture of the other compressor to upload.

Resized_20181130_221528.jpeg

That's about the size of the tank I'll be using to build my forge.. looking forward to your finished project.. wish I had more space for my pass time projects.  But I'll make due for now

Edited by Leroy Hill

This might not look like it but it is a 60 gallon tank. I have a 20 gallon compressor that looks just like it only green.

Jeremy, what size are the cylinders that you have? What is the rod diameter also?

VERY cool project by the way, definitely the largest home built hammer I have seen.

I'm not 100% sure on the size of the cylinders. I will find out but I know the rod diameter is about 1 1/4 inch

Edited by Jeremy Blohm
On 12/2/2018 at 6:30 PM, Steve O said:

Jeremy, what size are the cylinders that you have? What is the rod diameter also?

I finally made it over to the shop and took a look at the cylinder and it is a 6 inch bore, 1 3/4 inch rod, and a 30 inch stroke with a 250 psi envelope pressure.

Resized_20181210_110052.jpeg

• 1 year later...

I havent forgot or gave up on this project. I've still been gathering up all the materials needed. I just acquired what I needed to make the base plate

73c0c7ac041826f938e071d66a12ee3b.jpeg

Just remember to fine tune your matierials to match a design rather than the other way around. That's where I ran into trouble. Im still performing tuneups. If I did it again, I would buy plans and try my best to make the measurements around all the moving parts the same. 

Good luck!

I have not cast the cannon yet. I have almost everything I need but the green sand and the materials to melt. I was going to start a topic on that soon. I'm thinking i might have to build a furnace big enough to fit 3 or 4 of my crucibles in at one time. Or buy a big enough crucible to make one pour. I have crucible tongs big enough for a really big crucible but they take 2 people to use. The also have a locking mechanism so I'm sure they can be used to pour also.

On 2/29/2020 at 6:26 PM, Jeremy Blohm said:

Or buy a big enough crucible to make one pour.

Uninterrupted pouring is very important in getting quality castings.  If you go with multiple small pours you should have a second person that can start pouring before the first person finishes their pour.  Bigger ladles/crucibles are often the easier approach.  

• 1 month later...

Jeremy...

For what it is worth my suggestion is get a 3" diameter cylinder maybe a 14"   stroke...and a weight of under 100 pounds for the hammer head. Get done and see how it works for you..look at your speeds and operating variables ( air requirements , costs ). Now you have a hammer with a weight ratio of 100/infinity that is really good. Then look at the math of that cylinder each stroke is 4 times the volume of the 3" cylinder and the large volumes of that 30 inch stoke will kill you by using a lot of air that is doing no work.

Good luck on the sand smelting caution it is habit forming ...wash the sand and let it dry before cleaning with a magnet. Heat it with a propane torch and see if a foul smell comes off ...that is sulfur.

• Like 1

I have thought of going mechanical just to eliminate the air consumption problem. A 100 lb weight with a 3800 lb anvil would be extremely efficient. I had my supervisors help me move the anvil in front of the shop this weekend. Now I have to try to move it into the shop and stood up....:wacko:

Resized_20200418_131104.jpeg

Resized_20200418_124939.jpeg

Well this project is getting put to the side. I'm buying another self contained hammer. This one will be a Kuhn though!!! This is in Austria and the owner is letting me pay payments!!!! $500 shipping. I'm paying $4300for the hammer and it has a 57# hammer weight.

Screenshot_20200425-131044_Chrome.jpg

Edited by Jeremy Blohm

Small mechanical hammers run fast.  A 25 lb little giant runs around 300 bpm.  My Star 50lb runs around 220bpm.  I'd still rather have that Kuhn...

• Like 1