Josh A Weston

CeltIberian War Knife for Knife or Death

Here are some screen grabs from my run on History Channel's latest show, Knife or Death (season 1, episode 4). I forged out a knife inspired by a set of CeltIberian War Knives I saw in Germany last year at the Reichstadtmuseum in Rothenburg ob der Tauber. I made a few modern modifications to it for comfort and safety. The forward lanyard hole, a bottle opener forged into the ring pommel and the rubber handle slabs to absorb impact. The knife worked really well. It is 80crv2 and has a cutting edge of 12.75" and an overall weight of 1lb 13oz and the blade is 2" wide at the base and 3/8" thick spine at the break. I was excited to try a historic weapon on such a brutal course. I think it is a great proving ground for knives and I am happy with how this knife style performed and handled. I was pleasantly surprised with how snug my hand felt with this type of grip. The ring pommel does a fantastic job at locking the hand in place and allowing it to grip for a solid chop and follow through.

I would really like to get real measurements from the originals I found in Germany. If anyone has connections with that museum I would really appreciate any help. I'd like to make a more accurate recreation of this piece.

Thanks for checking it out.

Screen Shot 2018-05-09 at 5.37.08 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-05-09 at 5.49.17 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-05-09 at 9.19.25 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-05-09 at 9.50.23 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-05-09 at 9.48.07 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-05-09 at 9.52.24 PM.png

DSCN3463.JPG

DSCN3467.JPG

DSCN3468.JPG

DSCN3474.JPG

2017-04-27 10.59.49.jpg

• Like 1

That’s cool Josh. I love how well the sheath is fitted to the knife. Still waiting to have the show aired over here, how was it? Looks like it could be fun.

• Like 1

Nice!  And good for you putting historically proven forms through their paces.  I'd like to see how a nice brokenback seax would perform...

• Like 1

Enjoyed seeing you compete with that, Josh, and you did well with it!  Any chance it'll be with you at the Blade Show?

Alan - They did have a "seax" on there.  It was far removed from historical precedent. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, James Helm said:

Alan - They did have a "seax" on there.  It was far removed from historical precedent. 

That's why I said I'd like to see one, that was not a seax. ;)

• Like 1

Kewl lookin blade....outta curiosity I am curious what angle your main bevel is per side. Looks like 7 ish

That sheath is equally impressive....is it leather over kydex?? I am trying to wrap my mind around how fitted it is to the blade.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Pretty knife! I really should go watch that show, it's on DVR right now. 

I don't have any measurements of that particular knife (most of my time was spent studying the main exhibit), but the knife that is right behind it is 40.6 cm long and the one in front of it is 57cm. 

Pictured is the one right in front that's 57cm, I have no other measurements right now. 

18076590_787417614761310_467794580690494093_o.jpg

Edited by Michael Bergstrom
  • Like 1

On 5/16/2018 at 2:33 AM, Charles du Preez said:

That’s cool Josh. I love how well the sheath is fitted to the knife. Still waiting to have the show aired over here, how was it? Looks like it could be fun.

It was a good experience. I used the opportunity to test out a historically inspired design and that was awesome. Of course, I had to make some modern additions for safety reasons but I tried to stay somewhat true to form. The show needs to be taken with a grain of salt or a few beers. I will continue to watch as we do ge to see different blade shapes, geometry etc in serious action on some tough targets. So worth a watch for sure.

On 5/16/2018 at 7:37 AM, Alan Longmire said:

Nice!  And good for you putting historically proven forms through their paces.  I'd like to see how a nice brokenback seax would perform...

That was going to be my initial blade choice but for various reasons that didn't work out. Mainly I didn't know what the targets would be and I was worried about the tip breaking cause, you know, a real broken back is more than just the 45 degree angle cut on the end we see all over the place. Had I gone with one I would have gone Sittingbourne profile... maybe not multi-bar though... well, maybe. Wrought iron spines are so good for absorbing impact. 

On 5/16/2018 at 10:52 AM, James Helm said:

Enjoyed seeing you compete with that, Josh, and you did well with it!  Any chance it'll be with you at the Blade Show?

Yes! I will be bringing it to blade with me! I will be there Friday and Saturday. Hit me up on my instagram when you are there @joshaweston

On 5/16/2018 at 11:33 AM, Alan Longmire said:

That's why I said I'd like to see one, that was not a seax. ;)

At least one of the seax guys said seax inspired, but it drives me so nutso when they say "Viking Seax" and it's clearly Anglo Saxon and even then it's more of a bowie... oh well

On 5/16/2018 at 12:51 PM, Kreg said:

Kewl lookin blade....outta curiosity I am curious what angle your main bevel is per side. Looks like 7 ish

That sheath is equally impressive....is it leather over kydex?? I am trying to wrap my mind around how fitted it is to the blade.

You know what, I didn't actually measure it. I was going for as close to a full flat as possible. I will have to measure the thickness of the cutting edge, which I left a little thick and convex. But the blade is 2" wide at the base with a flat grind from spine to the edge bevel. It's a pretty sweet design, I am looking forward to making more of them.

On 5/16/2018 at 12:51 PM, Kreg said:

Oh, and the sheath is just leather. I molded it with a sharpie end and a polished antler tine. Takes a bit of time but with the aid of some clamps, water and a heat gun it can happen.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/16/2018 at 2:03 PM, Michael Bergstrom said:

Pretty knife! I really should go watch that show, it's on DVR right now. 

I don't have any measurements of that particular knife (most of my time was spent studying the main exhibit), but the knife that is right behind it is 40.6 cm long and the one in front of it is 57cm. 

Pictured is the one right in front that's 57cm, I have no other measurements right now. 

18076590_787417614761310_467794580690494093_o.jpg

Small world! I spent almost a whole day in that museum. I want to go back and measure all of these. Here is a shot of the info card but it was not very helpful for measurements. Thanks for posting what you have. That will help to get some proportions right for the next one.

2017-04-27 10.59.39.jpg

2017-04-27 11.00.07.jpg