Just finished this commission an Irish Skean, the blade is 1075 with a hamon, the fittings are blued textured mild steel and the handle is moose antler. This thing feels like a sword in the hand. going to get pro pics soon as well. 

MP

IMG_20180515_150631.jpg

IMG_20180515_150723.jpg

IMG_20180515_150725.jpg

IMG_20180515_150728.jpg

• Like 5

Beautiful knife!  Out of curiosity, what is the difference, other than the name, between an Irish Skean and a Scottish Dirk?  Both seem to have roughly the same profile and handle shape.

Nice

15 hours ago, Alex Middleton said:

Beautiful knife!  Out of curiosity, what is the difference, other than the name, between an Irish Skean and a Scottish Dirk?  Both seem to have roughly the same profile and handle shape.

Slight differences in the handles, mostly in  materials and shape. Some of these have handles that aare more like rondells. The blades are basically the same from what I can tell although the Skeans tend to be bigger this one has a 12" blade but the low end seems to be around 11". I didn't do all that much research on this so don't take every thing I am saying as gospel. 

MP 

• Like 1

Yeah. That's a really nice piece Matt. 

Looks great Matt!

On ‎5‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 6:36 AM, Matthew Parkinson said:

IMG_20180515_150728.jpg

So I got to ask how did you do this toothing?? I originally thought probably it was done with a V file. However in this close up you can see it was not all the way thru! If this is a trade secret don't sweat the explanation, I am just very intrigued by it!!

Oh, by the way I love this one! Not only does look great, it looks like you could stick someone completely thru. If you didn't hit a bone that is! Love the bone handle and the ferule as well! All components work very well together! Two thumbs up!

I got the image back from coop , take a look!

Parkinson_180523C-web.jpg

• Like 1

8 hours ago, C Craft said:

So I got to ask how did you do this toothing?? I originally thought probably it was done with a V file. However in this close up you can see it was not all the way thru! If this is a trade secret don't sweat the explanation, I am just very intrigued by it!!

Oh, by the way I love this one! Not only does look great, it looks like you could stick someone completely thru. If you didn't hit a bone that is! Love the bone handle and the ferule as well! All components work very well together! Two thumbs up!

it is done with  file, just cut in at 45 deg almost to the other side. the spine gets a zigzag pattern and the sides the Vs. I went back with a center punch and did the dot in each triangle. 

MP 

Thanks for the info Matthew. It is definitely an intriguing asset to the knife!!  

Love that shot from the spine!  It never occurred to me to make the V-notches a zigzag, I always do 'em directly opposing.  I like it!