Jump to content
Vern Wimmer

"I ain't got a good anvil..."

Recommended Posts

"Waaaah !!!"

Quit yer whining. Here's what the Kamis in Nepal use to make a Khukhuri.

:P:D

transform.gif

Edited by Vern Wimmer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Am I seeing this right is that a large maybe 10 pound sledge hammer head I'm seeing???

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, AndyB said:

Am I seeing this right is that a large maybe 10 pound sledge hammer head I'm seeing???

Oh you're seein it right. I used a 16 lb one as an anvil at one time. If you're really passionate about something; you can always find a way. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well it actually looks like it works quite well lol may have to buy one just for beating metal on lol.  Not to mention a 10 or 16 pound hammer head is fairly in expensive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I use a 10 pound sledge hammer head as my demo anvil when I forge on the road. It's about the size of a smaller Japanese anvil.

Got mine at ace hardware, it had a broken handle. Got it for $20.

 

 

Edited by GBrackett
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, GBrackett said:

I use a 10 pound sledge hammer head as my demo anvil when I forge on the road. It's about the size of a smaller Japanese anvil.

 

 

Do you mind if I ask what you mean by "forging on the road"? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can flip mine around in my stump to use the different faces, you can keep one end round and flatten the other, the faces with the socket hole are pretty close to flat so thats what I use for the flat part, I also straightened the sides of the socket face with an engle grinder.

My stump has a hole to fit the sledgehammer on its side and in that hole there is a deeper hole that the hammer face fits in, thats how I can flip it around. 

Sledgehammers go great with a log splitter for a hot cut.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, steven smith said:

I can flip mine around in my stump to use the different faces, you can keep one end round and flatten the other, the faces with the socket hole are pretty close to flat so thats what I use for the flat part, I also straightened the sides of the socket face with an engle grinder.

My stump has a hole to fit the sledgehammer on its side and in that hole there is a deeper hole that the hammer face fits in, thats how I can flip it around. 

Sledgehammers go great with a log splitter for a hot cut.

 

I love it. Getting the maximum out of it!

I HAVE to build a base around that idea if for no other reason than to go with my "One-Brick" forge for a "pocket smithy" .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I will get pictures of my 20lb hammer head tomorrow. Its massive. In all honesty i havent weighed it yet but it has a 20 on the side. It might be more.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Still doesnt beat the one in tbis picture though. 

double.thumb.jpg.8482cada32fe1a7c84fbd3ce5b99890e.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, that was an unexpected chain of events.

 

That big hex hammer would make a nice anvil.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey that's what I started out with! Gives a kinda fuzzy feeling, seeing that

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Jeremy Blohm said:

I will get pictures of my 20lb hammer head tomorrow. Its massive. In all honesty i havent weighed it yet but it has a 20 on the side. It might be more.

 

4 hours ago, Zeb Camper said:

Oh you're seein it right. I used a 16 lb one as an anvil at one time. If you're really passionate about something; you can always find a way. 

 

4 hours ago, GBrackett said:

I use a 10 pound sledge hammer head as my demo anvil when I forge on the road. It's about the size of a smaller Japanese anvil.

Got mine at ace hardware, it had a broken handle. Got it for $20.

 

 

 

12 minutes ago, Caleb Harris said:

Hey that's what I started out with! Gives a kinda fuzzy feeling, seeing that

That's funny, you guys don't look Nepalese :D

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

IMG_20180525_121158.jpg

The picture makes it look smaller than it is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/21/2018 at 9:57 PM, Zeb Camper said:

Do you mind if I ask what you mean by "forging on the road"? 

This is used when I go to the park, or to a show, and anywhere outside of my shop I travel to and forge things. It is easy to load, and cools down  pretty quick...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Makes me think about taking a large cross pein hammer and mounting it into a stump, pein up, then hammering with a smaller cross pein. It would make drawing out faster, methinks, but would also require outstanding hammer control. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have good anvils but when i see something like this at a junk yard i cant help myself. I will update with pictures when i have it finished and mounted to a stump.20180611_211608.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


About how heavy is that hunk of steel?  I've got a block of H13 that's not much bigger and it can really move steel.

Doug

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Im not sure how heavy it is. I will put it on a scale in a little while.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You know, that is just the right size that, if it weren't hardened, I'd be crafting up some "Acme Hardening, approved by Wile E Coyote" method .....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I put it on a scale and it is 20lbs on the dot.

I am going to draw out a spike and weld it on the end and try to heat treat it. I did a little grinding on it and it had a fair spark pattern so hopefully it will harden.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×