Vern Wimmer

"I ain't got a good anvil..."

"Waaaah !!!"

Quit yer whining. Here's what the Kamis in Nepal use to make a Khukhuri.

:P:D

transform.gif

Edited by Vern Wimmer

Am I seeing this right is that a large maybe 10 pound sledge hammer head I'm seeing???

12 minutes ago, AndyB said:

Am I seeing this right is that a large maybe 10 pound sledge hammer head I'm seeing???

Oh you're seein it right. I used a 16 lb one as an anvil at one time. If you're really passionate about something; you can always find a way. 

Well it actually looks like it works quite well lol may have to buy one just for beating metal on lol.  Not to mention a 10 or 16 pound hammer head is fairly in expensive.

I use a 10 pound sledge hammer head as my demo anvil when I forge on the road. It's about the size of a smaller Japanese anvil.

Got mine at ace hardware, it had a broken handle. Got it for $20.

Edited by GBrackett
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, GBrackett said:

I use a 10 pound sledge hammer head as my demo anvil when I forge on the road. It's about the size of a smaller Japanese anvil.

Do you mind if I ask what you mean by "forging on the road"? 

I can flip mine around in my stump to use the different faces, you can keep one end round and flatten the other, the faces with the socket hole are pretty close to flat so thats what I use for the flat part, I also straightened the sides of the socket face with an engle grinder.

My stump has a hole to fit the sledgehammer on its side and in that hole there is a deeper hole that the hammer face fits in, thats how I can flip it around. 

Sledgehammers go great with a log splitter for a hot cut.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, steven smith said:

I can flip mine around in my stump to use the different faces, you can keep one end round and flatten the other, the faces with the socket hole are pretty close to flat so thats what I use for the flat part, I also straightened the sides of the socket face with an engle grinder.

My stump has a hole to fit the sledgehammer on its side and in that hole there is a deeper hole that the hammer face fits in, thats how I can flip it around. 

Sledgehammers go great with a log splitter for a hot cut.

I love it. Getting the maximum out of it!

I HAVE to build a base around that idea if for no other reason than to go with my "One-Brick" forge for a "pocket smithy" .

I will get pictures of my 20lb hammer head tomorrow. Its massive. In all honesty i havent weighed it yet but it has a 20 on the side. It might be more.

Still doesnt beat the one in tbis picture though. 

double.thumb.jpg.8482cada32fe1a7c84fbd3ce5b99890e.jpg

Well, that was an unexpected chain of events.

That big hex hammer would make a nice anvil.

Hey that's what I started out with! Gives a kinda fuzzy feeling, seeing that

3 hours ago, Jeremy Blohm said:

I will get pictures of my 20lb hammer head tomorrow. Its massive. In all honesty i havent weighed it yet but it has a 20 on the side. It might be more.

4 hours ago, Zeb Camper said:

Oh you're seein it right. I used a 16 lb one as an anvil at one time. If you're really passionate about something; you can always find a way. 

4 hours ago, GBrackett said:

Got mine at ace hardware, it had a broken handle. Got it for $20.

12 minutes ago, Caleb Harris said:

Hey that's what I started out with! Gives a kinda fuzzy feeling, seeing that

That's funny, you guys don't look Nepalese :D

• Haha 1

IMG_20180525_121158.jpg

The picture makes it look smaller than it is.

On 5/21/2018 at 9:57 PM, Zeb Camper said:

Do you mind if I ask what you mean by "forging on the road"? 

This is used when I go to the park, or to a show, and anywhere outside of my shop I travel to and forge things. It is easy to load, and cools down  pretty quick...

Makes me think about taking a large cross pein hammer and mounting it into a stump, pein up, then hammering with a smaller cross pein. It would make drawing out faster, methinks, but would also require outstanding hammer control. 

I have good anvils but when i see something like this at a junk yard i cant help myself. I will update with pictures when i have it finished and mounted to a stump.20180611_211608.jpg

About how heavy is that hunk of steel?  I've got a block of H13 that's not much bigger and it can really move steel.

Doug

Im not sure how heavy it is. I will put it on a scale in a little while.

You know, that is just the right size that, if it weren't hardened, I'd be crafting up some "Acme Hardening, approved by Wile E Coyote" method .....

I put it on a scale and it is 20lbs on the dot.

I am going to draw out a spike and weld it on the end and try to heat treat it. I did a little grinding on it and it had a fair spark pattern so hopefully it will harden.