Bayonet Identification?

I recently came across this Bayonet in my father's things, and am looking for help in identifying it. The blade is 18.5" long and the total length is 23.5". 

The most I currently know is that it belonged to his father, who went to the war from Newfoundland, Canada. 

It's not in the best of shape currently, but does still have it's scabbard. I plan on cleaning it up and restoring it as best I can, but any info on its origin or value would be appreciated. 

IMG_20180521_134353661_HDR.jpg

IMG_20180521_205403_953.jpg

I could be wrong on this but that looks like an older WW1 or very early WW2 era model Bayonete.  Do you know what type of riffle it was fit for with the mount?  It almost looks like the M1917

Edited by AndyB

doesn't look like the M1917 if you compare to other images. This one is unusual for a bayonet as it has an almost symmetric cross guard. The guard is also a very distinct design. 

It looks like there is writing on the guard - is that true?

Handle and cross guard looks like the attached image of a British P-1856 Yataghan Sword Bayonet for Enfield Two Band Short Rifle, but the blade is different. Several of the Yataghan bayonets have this handle/cross guard design.

on8431__1.jpg

I'm far from an expert, but it looks like a Mauser bayonet to me.  The handle release button is a clue (I think)  The guard shape is odd, but there were hundreds, if not more, variants, made under licence and not, from all over the world.  I found a Spanish version that has a guard like this one, circa 1941.  There are online bayonet forums, and you'll have better luck with them.  Let us know what you find out.

Geoff

I'll bet Zeb will be able to answer it. I have a few but he skunked me on identifying the last one someone asked about.

( put you on the spot Zeb :P)

I did find an image here the handle has a different design on it but it does have that button on the end of it as you can see here so it may very well be a variation of the M1917.  Image result for m1917 bayonet

One thing I have learned about bayonets is that the British, and a bit less the Germans, love to cover them in all kinds of proof marks and such. The Brits and their broad arrows for instance.

Looks kind of like a 1899- 1914 Italian Carcano, except for that little floopty-doo on the barrel ring.  They had that long straight guard, though.  Definitely in the 1880-1914 era.  Where did your grandfather serve?  Folks tended to trade with nearby units or take souvenirs from the enemy.

But you never know.  The butcher (a W.W.I veteran) at my grandfather's grocery store had what he said was a Japanese bayonet that my brother was crazy to get.  He eventually talked George into selling it to him when he was around 12 and I was around 9.  A couple years later we figured out it was English.  Wilkinson, made for the Pattern 17 rifle.  Still a cool bayonet, but not the Arisaka we were told it was.  

On 5/22/2018 at 12:32 PM, Vern Wimmer said:

I'll bet Zeb will be able to answer it. I have a few but he skunked me on identifying the last one someone asked about.

( put you on the spot Zeb :P)

Sorry, I got nothin' :( Need more clues. Markings, where your grandfather served, what time he served, etc. 

I'm learning more about it as we speak. As far as dating it goes; they engraved "Styer 18xx" on the spine of the blade. It may well be too corroded to read. 

As far as a value goes... I just saw one in better shape priced for $50. 

I will do more research to help; as well as satisfy my own curiosity. But for now, I gotta sleep.

What a cool blade! 

7 hours ago, Zeb Camper said:

I'm learning more about it as we speak. As far as dating it goes; they engraved "Styer 18xx" on the spine of the blade. It may well be too corroded to read. 

As far as a value goes... I just saw one in better shape priced for $50. 

I will do more research to help; as well as satisfy my own curiosity. But for now, I gotta sleep.

What a cool blade! 

That looks like the one! You're right that there is no legible markings on the spine so that valuable clue was missing. I'm researching it further myself now, and am reaching out to extended family to see if I can get any more information, unfortunately most family members that may have had any knowledge on this have passed away. 

Made for a Kropatschek rifle, which down the road I will try to acquire to remake a set. 

Thanks for all the help!