Soon my old shop will be coming down...

When I bought my "house"- originally a modified mobile, but it had its own property, she was just a few years old- in 1991. She had a concrete floor, 5 power outlets, and 220 volt. That made me sign the mortgage. I moved what tools I had into her, hung the horseshoe toes down, befitting a smith's shop, and started working. In her, I learned to forge-weld, to make damascus. I learned arc-welding, a tool that allowed me to make more tools. Over the years- the concrete, never well-poured, started cracking and the shop eventually started warping and twisting- but still she kept out the rain of Eastern Canada. Finally, I knew she was beyond any economical repair and had enough cash to build a new one. 

Today- she comes down.

Peace to your ashes, old shop. You served a young fool and an old one equally well.

oldshop 001.JPG

oldshop 003.JPG

oldshop 004.JPG

oldshop 005.JPG

oldshop 006.JPG

Edited by Al Massey
  • Like 1

I remembered to save the horseshoe...

Keep it toes up until the new shop is built, dont want to be pouring the luck out everywhere! 

Sounds like quite a project you have on your hands, Al. Hoping for a hasty and successful build. 

So, what are the plans for the new place? Bigger? 

Same size, but much better organised.

I have been watching 3 young fellows trying to take this wooden structure down all day and I have come to the conclusion that whoever built this garage contracted out for the Pyramids.

• Haha 1

Well, the old building is finally down. I'm afraid my initial fears were unfounded, in regards to the roof falling in on me. The trusses defied almost all efforts to get them to come down until they used ropes, chains and a pickup truck. The truck was damaged in the process...the term "Overbuilt" came to mind. The initial builder may have done a crappy job on the pad, but the rest of the building could have stood another 30 years. Not one bit of rot in the structural wood either...

Sad day/happy day. That roof is built like a brick sh*thouse though. 

My workshop roof looks about the same size, but has stone tiles, and maybe 2 or 3 joists (and all rotten battens) to hold maybe a ton of stone up.

2 hours ago, Dan P. said:

Sad day/happy day. That roof is built like a brick sh*thouse though. 

My workshop roof looks about the same size, but has stone tiles, and maybe 2 or 3 joists (and all rotten battens) to hold maybe a ton of stone up.

Brings a new meaning to the phrase,

"Worried about the overhead of the business"