Hello everybody, been  a while since i have been on here.life has kept me really busy this pas year or 2..I have saved around $3,200.00 to use for equipment..i want to buy my first anvil.I was wondering if the nc tool anvils are a good starter anvil?

2 minutes ago, Kenneth Mauldin said:

Hello everybody, been  a while since i have been on here.life has kept me really busy this pas year or 2..I have saved around $3,200.00 to use for equipment..i want to buy my first anvil.I was wondering if the nc tool anvils are a good starter anvil?

That is a nice little tool nest egg you have.  I am not saying that an NC Tool anvil wouldn't work, but they are farrier's anvils and have super narrow wastes.  There isn't much mass under the face.  If it were me, I would get something else.  What is your budget for an anvil?  

30 minutes ago, Wes Detrick said:

That is a nice little tool nest egg you have.  I am not saying that an NC Tool anvil wouldn't work, but they are farrier's anvils and have super narrow wastes.  There isn't much mass under the face.  If it were me, I would get something else.  What is your budget for an anvil?  

Thanks Wes,knew you would drop in lol..Was hoping no more then $700.. trying to save some for a good grinder

I have used a Texas Farrier Supply anvil for 10 years now, and it has worked just fine. I have made hundreds of knives, and some short swords (28" or less in blade length) with it. Remember the Japanese make Samari swords knee with 4x6" rectangular anvil.

I got my anvil for about 700$, and bought a 1200$ 2x72 BFS grinder.

I your case a 100$ table top 8" drill would be good to add, and a parrot vise for about 70$. I would also suggest a 2 pound, and a 3.50 pound blacksmithing hammer. A forge if you do not have one.

Join your area ABBA group, and get some blacksmithing classes. You can find good used tools with them too.

As time passes you will collect more stuff. I buy a couple custom hammer every year.

The anvil in the photo has worked just fine, and I still use it everyday as a full time bladesmith.

Good luck on your new journey into the world of edge tools making...

rps20160519_152027.jpg

1372555082547.jpg

20171212_220819.jpg

20180302_182500.jpg

20180117_223424.jpg

Edited by GBrackett

George has some good advice there.  Join your local ABANA affiliate or find a blacksmith that teaches and take a class or too.  You will get to use an anvil and see what you maybe like or don't like about it.  You may also have the chance to ask if they know anyone selling anvils.  

George's anvil is a good example of some you want to look for.  You can see a lot of the mass is under the face.  Compare that to the NC Tool one, which has a super slender waist.

For $700 i would buy the Kanca 110lb other than the waist.

http://www.centaurforge.com/mobile/Kanca-110-lbs-Drop-Forged-Double-Horn-Anvil-50-KG/productinfo/DFA110DH/

If i had a $1000 budget i would buy this.

http://www.nimbaanvils.com/titan.php

On 5/23/2018 at 2:09 PM, GBrackett said:

I have used a Texas Farrier Supply anvil for 10 years now, and it has worked just fine. I have made hundreds of knives, and some short swords (28" or less in blade length) with it. Remember the Japanese make Samari swords knee with 4x6" rectangular anvil.

I got my anvil for about 700$, and bought a 1200$ 2x72 BFS grinder.

I your case a 100$ table top 8" drill would be good to add, and a parrot vise for about 70$. I would also suggest a 2 pound, and a 3.50 pound blacksmithing hammer. A forge if you do not have one.

Join your area ABBA group, and get some blacksmithing classes. You can find good used tools with them too.

As time passes you will collect more stuff. I buy a couple custom hammer every year.

The anvil in the photo has worked just fine, and I still use it everyday as a full time bladesmith.

Good luck on your new journey into the world of edge tools making...

rps20160519_152027.jpg

1372555082547.jpg

20171212_220819.jpg

20180302_182500.jpg

20180117_223424.jpg

Thank you for the post George,sorry took so long to geg back.I love in the sticks and we have a tropical storm headed our way so been busy prepping for it.

Thats some good advice,I looked I to the local ABBA and I want to join it I just have to figure logistics,have my son only during the summers so time is precious lol,plus it's a pretty far drive..your anvil looks sexy!

Bfs grinder?I made a friend through Facebook that i came close with,he owns a fab shop and makes grinder frames on the side..he said and showed me his work,beautiful stuff,a grinder frame that can flip vertical/horizontal ,all holes tapped,flat flatten,etc $350,so I think o will buy the frame from him and buy a 2hp motor and vfd,maybe a 8inch contact wheel also.

10 hours ago, Wes Detrick said:

George has some good advice there.  Join your local ABANA affiliate or find a blacksmith that teaches and take a class or too.  You will get to use an anvil and see what you maybe like or don't like about it.  You may also have the chance to ask if they know anyone selling anvils.  

George's anvil is a good example of some you want to look for.  You can see a lot of the mass is under the face.  Compare that to the NC Tool one, which has a super slender waist.

I see what your talking about now brother,was looking on eBay and I just missed a steal! 150lb Peter wright someone got it for $200 and it was on good Condition from the pics

5 hours ago, Jeremy Blohm said:

For $700 i would buy the Kanca 110lb other than the waist.

http://www.centaurforge.com/mobile/Kanca-110-lbs-Drop-Forged-Double-Horn-Anvil-50-KG/productinfo/DFA110DH/

If i had a $1000 budget i would buy this.

http://www.nimbaanvils.com/titan.php

I will check these out tonight,thank you brother!

• Like 1

Keep in mind that there are usually a ton of local anvils that just take some digging to find. Never new, but very often in excellent condition and you save a ton getting an antique one. I got my Peter Wright with only a bit of wear, and then over a month period I found more than twenty anvils within a half hour drive more or less suitable for bladesmithing, just after having been aware of them. I forge iron had a good article on finding 'em. 

If you haven't read this, you should.

On 5/24/2018 at 9:55 PM, Kenneth Mauldin said:

Thank you for the post George,sorry took so long to geg back.I love in the sticks and we have a tropical storm headed our way so been busy prepping for it.

Thats some good advice,I looked I to the local ABBA and I want to join it I just have to figure logistics,have my son only during the summers so time is precious lol,plus it's a pretty far drive..your anvil looks sexy!

Bfs grinder?I made a friend through Facebook that i came close with,he owns a fab shop and makes grinder frames on the side..he said and showed me his work,beautiful stuff,a grinder frame that can flip vertical/horizontal ,all holes tapped,flat flatten,etc $350,so I think o will buy the frame from him and buy a 2hp motor and vfd,maybe a 8inch contact wheel also.

Sounds like a good grinder...

I would get a BFS for it, and start with a 1 up motor. I've used a 1 horse for 10 years now, still working for me in my shop today...