Sign in to follow this  
ethanknott

basic sword dimensions

Working on a sword, and can't find any like general rules for dimensions/geometry for the blade. I.e. I remember somewhere reading that the geometry for a katana is something like distal taper = tip is 70% of the base thickness. So are there general rules for the thicknesses and such, or do I just kinda wing it and make it look right to the eye?

Have you tried this thread pinned in "Hot Work" ?

Since there is no such thing as a "basic" sword, that's an impossible question.  Find one you like and study it.  The sword typologies exist for a reason.  Each type has its own set of traits regarding geometry, proportion, and so on.

If you want to do a post-Viking pre-Rennaissance western European sword, look up Peter Johnsson's thread about using geometry to design the sword.  This will give you the proportions, and the thread Vern linked above will give you an idea of the thicknesses and tapers.

Thats where I'm finding the difficulty. Doing a scimitar, but with katana-ish geometry, so kinda playing around with some things. That post is super helpful, thanks guys

On 5/30/2018 at 8:44 AM, ethanknott said:

Thats where I'm finding the difficulty. Doing a scimitar, but with katana-ish geometry, so kinda playing around with some things. That post is super helpful, thanks guys

That doesn't sound basic at all! :lol:

With that design in mind, you might also look up information on sabers, which seem functionally similar to what you're describing. 

Another resource you might use for things like dimensions and balance points and such are production sword shops that focus on functional blades. They'll usually have weights and measures posted online for pieces they are trying to sell. 

Doing a scimitar with a katana-ish geometry is really marrying two different blades.  The thicknesses of the basic blade types is way different with the scimitar being thinner.  I think that that is what Adam meant by it doesn't sound basic at all.

Doug

Yeah its a practice piece, working on my distal tapering, beveling, fittings, balance, etc. I'm not good enough yet to get a sword as thin as it realistically should be, so I figured katana-ish would give me enough thickness to work with so I don't screw up too much. 

As the math goes right now, its a 28" blade, about 1/4" at the hilt, and just a bit over 1/8" at the tip, 6.5" handle for hand and a half grip (since its still pretty heavy) and 1.25" from spine to blade. Its a chunky bastard but if all goes well, I think itll look pretty cool

Sounds way blade heavy. How soon does it drop from 1/4 to 1/8 ?

Even taper as best i could manage. Itll lose a fair bit of weight when i put in the bevel, which I'll forge to get the curve and angles, then grind the rest. Also the handle is thicker as a bit of a counter weight. It'll still be fairly heavy but it's not particularly designed for like dexterous fighting, more choppin stuff in the back yard for funsies.