Sign in to follow this  
nsantella

Knapped style dagger with figurative hilt

Just finished up something a little different which was directly inspired by this forum. Back quite a few years when some nice examples of knapped style blades were first appearing here I thought Id try one. It sat around waiting for a hilt, then the idea I came up with was a little too ambitious for my carving ability. It ended up a little more “rustic” than I first imagined but overall I am pretty happy with it. I also need to admit I had my brother, who is an experienced figurative wood carver, do the eyes which are tricky. Thanks to everyone who posts more often than I do for all the inspiration!

Steel, bone, cherry and brass with a cherry bark sheath.

Knapped1.jpgKnapped2.jpg

• Like 1

Not bad, I've actually tried knapping before.  Not for knives but more or less making arrowheads.  It is quite difficult to do in order to get the shape or cut that you want.  If you hit to hard your at risk of loosing all that work you've just done.  Hit too little and not enough material is removed.  It's a good challenge though.

Real knapping takes some skill. When Iv tried all I have created is broken rocks. I did try and make the imitation flake patterns realistic here and those failures in real knapping might have helped. 

That's an excellent job of a knapped-steel blade, and the carving ain't bad either.  Is that a little brass turtle? :huh:

I knapped flint for a year or so in college.  I can make a sort of pointy rock and a big mess, but that's about it. :lol:

I did some knapping and pressure flaking when I was a museum curator as part of the "living history" thing. The thing I got good at was the unhistorical " opening the band-aid package" and applying .

• Haha 1

Yes it is a little brass turtle set into the palm of her hand. It was a compact pose that seemed like it worked for a handle. Then thought she should be looking at something in her hand and it was intended as a gift for a friend who has a thing for turtles so was an obvious choice.

• Like 1

The carving is awesome! Great work. Did a good job making the blade look knapped too. 

Love the turtle, by the way. 

Very interesting idea and well executed. The knap-effect has come out well.

15 hours ago, nsantella said:

Yes it is a little brass turtle set into the palm of her hand. It was a compact pose that seemed like it worked for a handle. Then thought she should be looking at something in her hand and it was intended as a gift for a friend who has a thing for turtles so was an obvious choice.

Nothing wrong with turtles :)

(See my avatar...)

Personally, I think this knife is beautiful. It has a very aboriginal/tribal artifact look. It's like something a female Shaman would use for ceremonial purposes. Well done!