Sign in to follow this  
Doug Crawford

2 new knives

Hello everyone!  It’s been a while since I’ve posted anything- I took a new job on a towboat, which has cut into shop time significantly. I’ve been working on these two off and on for several months. It’s been a departure from the usual kitchen knives.

The skinner is 1084, cold blued, handle is made from 40 layers of construction paper.

8867AF3B-4750-4222-B8D1-B97E731A81F9.jpeg

BA745357-1A49-41D5-91DE-D25450B0832F.jpeg

12A088C9-0E51-415F-8B42-72ABD0353AD1.jpeg

B87E774E-8CA5-497F-A166-911E613990EA.jpeg

this one is made from a piece of winch wire from one of our barges, 1” diameter. Around 64 HRC after a 400 degree temper. Still haven’t put the final edge on in the photos. 

15A06EB2-9202-4FA3-B6EE-2D12CA188074.jpeg

A0668C07-B53D-4217-A72F-12D3AD7044A3.jpeg

BDC7FBA0-70D1-426F-A476-96AE3F5A17AD.jpeg

B7D612A6-CF3A-42AA-B1A5-38D4E903B6EC.jpeg

712398DD-FBB8-4E9A-B34B-DBEFF8091214.jpeg

Edited by Doug Crawford

Both are awesome, but I LOVE the shape of that Skinner. B)

4 hours ago, AJ Chalifoux said:

Both are awesome, but I LOVE the shape of that Skinner. B)

Thanks!

The cable came out nice. Well done.

I'm a drop point guy but my Dad was an upswept fan and would have loved the Skinner. 

I love the little EDC a lot. Very clean. Nice work on both.

Nice to see you are still at it. Nice work.

I think I remember you were debating how to make an edc deck knife for the new job.  Is that what the black one is for?

4 hours ago, Brian Dougherty said:

Nice to see you are still at it. Nice work.

I think I remember you were debating how to make an edc deck knife for the new job.  Is that what the black one is for?

That one was for the captain that put me in for my first raise. He also is how I ended up with 20 feet of cable. I’ve still been looking for the perfect metal for cutting our lines. I’m using one Gabe made at the moment, it’s a traditional rigging knife style, 1095, works well on almost everything that I use it for regularly. There’s one type of heavy line that has a thick polypropylene core that is extremely abrasion resistant. It dulled 80crv2 before it could cut through it one time.

20A19E0B-8EFB-4EC7-BC80-E963A9B3E11E.jpeg

thats the heavy stuff

3EA62A2B-0650-4DDB-B5FE-5910D4162D46.jpeg

and what im using right now

Nice ones!  For abrasion resistance you might want to think about D2, or if you want to go stainless and farm out the HT, CPM154 or CPM S30V are extremely abrasion resistant.  They are not forgeable, though.

57 minutes ago, Alan Longmire said:

Nice ones!  For abrasion resistance you might want to think about D2, or if you want to go stainless and farm out the HT, CPM154 or CPM S30V are extremely abrasion resistant.  They are not forgeable, though.

I might give the D2 a try. The CPM looks a little expensive.

Honestly, i would go with s30v if i were you. Assuming proper heat treat, its harder, tougher, and more corrosion resistant (i assume youre in a salt water environment.) 

Both are a bugger to sharpen, but both are also not easy to dull once sharpened. 

Its worth the money. 

4 minutes ago, Will W. said:

Honestly, i would go with s30v if i were you. Assuming proper heat treat, its harder, tougher, and more corrosion resistant (i assume youre in a salt water environment.) 

Both are a bugger to sharpen, but both are also not easy to dull once sharpened. 

Its worth the money. 

Fresh water, but also don’t ever come into contact with any water except rain. If we end up in the river something has gone very wrong. 

Just a bar of the steel is about $100 with shipping, then cost to heat treat, and I’d still be unsure if it would perform well enough to justify the cost. The CPM D2 looks like it would be a little better than standard D2, and not super expensive, $45 per bar. 

A .094" T by 1.5" W by 36" L bar of s90v from Aldo at New Jersey Steel Baron is 55 bucks before shipping. And thats 3 feet of the stuff. Also comes in various widths and thickness. Give him a call, he may cut it down to the length you need.

D2 will also perform plenty well, i would imagine.

Edited by Will W.
Added content

If you want a forgeable blade + abrasion resistance you may consider CruForgeV. Basically a deep hardening 1095 with a whole bunch of vanadium carbides. It's much harder to finish than 1095 but should still be easier than s30v which is almost impossible to polish.