Sign in to follow this  
Wes Detrick

Perhaps the busiest knife I have ever made...

So here it is, just as the title stated.  This started off as a cutoff from a mosaic billet I am working on(which will be done sometimes next decade), and I had enough steel to forge out a knife, and this is that knife.  Low layer high contrast paired with a crazy burl.  The billet is 44 layers that was forged on the bias for some crushed W's, forged into a bar, and then forged on the bias again into another bar.  How this is the result is beyond me.  Anyhow, the steel is 1080 and 15n20, the guard is bronze and g10, and the handle is stabilized dyed Box Elder burl.  The Blade Length is 4.75" and the OAL is 9.75"

Thanks!

IMG_1613.jpg

IMG_1616.jpg

IMG_1625.jpg

IMG_1626.jpg

• Like 6

Kind of a "Jackson Pollock collaborated with Andy Warhol to make a knife" vibe.

I do think the design and shape would be great regardless.

I think I see a zebra in there. Nice work Wes.

Busy might be a bit of an understatement !!!!     ;)

That's a beautiful knife Wes, that would be a real treat to own and use.

Steve

Love all the colors and how the burl ties together the light gold of the bronze and the dark stripes of the blade. Nice outline with bold contrast.

Edited by AJ Chalifoux

Definitely an attention getter, like when a pretty woman walks into a room. Nice piece as always Wes. 

Wow. Very striking! I love it.

My sister was watching over my shoulder and says of the blade "Looks like he killed a zebra for that" :D.  I love it! 

Wonderful! I love the burl and the pattern, and... indeed it reminds a zebra :)

Thank you everyone!  I am glad that you like it as much as you do, even if it is loud as hell :D  

And everyone that said anything at all about a zebra... well my wife was the first to see it and those were the first words out of her mouth.  And a LOT of people have repeated the sentiments, so its name is "The Zebra Skinner" on my website.  It fits

Wes, I am lovin' that knife sir. I do have a question for you regarding the pattern. After the crushing and re-forging and stuff, did you ever accordion cut the bar or tile it (I can see it wasn't tiled so skip that part). It does look like there are two bars up against one another in that blade. I only ask because it doesn't really look like W's and I think you have to either accordion cut or tile a W pattern (it's an end grain pattern). 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Joshua States said:

Wes, I am lovin' that knife sir. I do have a question for you regarding the pattern. After the crushing and re-forging and stuff, did you ever accordion cut the bar or tile it (I can see it wasn't tiled so skip that part). It does look like there are two bars up against one another in that blade. I only ask because it doesn't really look like W's and I think you have to either accordion cut or tile a W pattern (it's an end grain pattern). 

Thanks Josh!  

I hate to say it, but I lost track of what I did to the end cut.  The billet was been welded up once, forged into square and then forged on the bias into more sqaure bar, which was then forged down flat.  The end cut came from that.  I think I forged down the end cut a little bit, cleaned it up, and then cut it once, welded those two pieces up, and then forged that down into a bar, which would explain the two bar look you mentioned.  Which was then forged into a knife.  My stupid brain has glossed over the details.  Sorry about that.

I do like that bold pattern! And the handle's cool too. You always seem to have the nicest handles. 

I’m really digging this knife, Love the pattern.

11 hours ago, Zeb Camper said:

I do like that bold pattern! And the handle's cool too. You always seem to have the nicest handles. 

Thanks Zeb, I greatly appreciate the compliment!  I work a lot on the handles and making them shapely, so I am glad it shows.

9 hours ago, Mason Simonet said:

I’m really digging this knife, Love the pattern.

Thanks Mason!  

Needs a disclaimer, "no zebras were harmed in the making of this knife. "

On 6/3/2018 at 9:06 PM, Wes Detrick said:

So here it is, just as the title stated.  This started off as a cutoff from a mosaic billet I am working on(which will be done sometimes next decade), and I had enough steel to forge out a knife, and this is that knife.  Low layer high contrast paired with a crazy burl.  The billet is 44 layers that was forged on the bias for some crushed W's, forged into a bar, and then forged on the bias again into another bar.  How this is the result is beyond me.  Anyhow, the steel is 1080 and 15n20, the guard is bronze and g10, and the handle is stabilized dyed Box Elder burl.  The Blade Length is 4.75" and the OAL is 9.75"

Thanks!

IMG_1613.jpg

IMG_1616.jpg

IMG_1625.jpg

IMG_1626.jpg

Very nice.

Looks good, Wes. Maybe a little higher density pattern in the blade would turn the volume down a bit, but nothing wrong with this.

Dave

4 hours ago, Raymond Richard said:

Wes, I think you should make more knives. The whole knife looks great!

Thank you Mr. Richard; coming from you that is quite the compliment.

3 hours ago, Dave Stephens said:

Looks good, Wes. Maybe a little higher density pattern in the blade would turn the volume down a bit, but nothing wrong with this.

Dave

Thanks Dave!  Ya, I wasn't sure how dense the pattern was going to be until I normalized it, and saw a little bit of the pattern.  Thanks for the compliments :)

Very stylish piece!