IMPORTANT Registration rules Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Greg R

waterproofing

I am starting a sheath for my new hunting knife. Since I hunt frequently in the rain I need some good waterproofing for the sheath. What do you guys reccomend?

I hunt in the Pacific Northwet and I just use a saddle wax.

I use Montana Pitch Blend Leather Dressing.  Works well.

Either one of those, and probably other treatments, will work well.  However it's best not to store a knife in it's sheath unless it's absolutely dry.

Doug

7 hours ago, Doug Lester said:

Either one of those, and probably other treatments, will work well.  However it's best not to store a knife in it's sheath unless it's absolutely dry.

Doug

+1 If you do not let the leather of a sheath that is wet, dry out completely before  storing the knife, no matter what you coat the sheath in. You are asking for a mess when it does dry!!

13 hours ago, Wes Detrick said:

I use Montana Pitch Blend Leather Dressing.  Works well.

+1 on this stuff.  The late Chuck Burrows, AKA WildRose, turned me on to it.  It's organic, nontoxic, even edible, and also antimicrobial because of the pine pitch.  I use it on my boots, and they stay waterproof for a few years at a time without any additional applications.

Thinking back over my answer, I have read that sheaths are to carry a knife in.  Knives should be stored separately from them to prevent rusting.

Doug

There's lots of things that work.  You can get ready made products like those already mentioned or you can make your own.  Bee's wax or paraffin mixed or not with an oil and thinned will work fine.  The mix sailers of old put on the hemp rigging was mostly tar and linseed oil.

Edited by Gerald Boggs

I hot wax my sheaths to make them fully water proof.

On ‎6‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 6:59 PM, Charles du Preez said:

And here is how Garry does it :)

Just be sure to put the sheath's in the oven at about 40c while the parraffin wax heats up. Best heat for the wax is about 240F as any hotter or holding the leather in there for longer than about 4 seconds leads to leather shrinkage wrinkling and surface damage and much less than 240F leads to cold setting of the wax on the leather which is a bear to remove with the best way being to make sure the wax is up to the 240F and re-dip the sheath.

I have added another step to the process now and have a equal parts mix of BLO, turps and bees wax which I rub onto the sheath while it is still warm and this allows for a really nice shine when buffed later.

Edited by Garry Keown
  • Thanks 1

On 6/8/2018 at 2:59 AM, Charles du Preez said:

And here is how Garry does it :)

And very nicely done, thanks for the video.

On 6/9/2018 at 4:52 AM, Garry Keown said:

about 40F

Sorry Garry, is that right?

On ‎6‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 8:39 AM, Charles du Preez said:

Sorry Garry, is that right?

Good catch thanks Charles. A bit of confusion in the post as my oven temps here are in C. but my wax temp guage is in F. I have corrected my post.

I set the oven at 40C for the sheaths when heating the parraffin to 240F. Sorry for the mixed tems but that is how I have to work with the tools I have.