IMPORTANT Registration rules Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Dave Stephens

Spear in Wallace Collection: 19th Century Indian

All:

I was in London last week on business and got a couple of hours to sneak over to the Wallace Collection.  If you haven't visited, you should really try to do so. It's unbelievable. So many amazing displays of medieval arms and armor in really great shape.

When I first visited this museum with the AF guys, I had heard of their collection of Western Medieval arms and armor, but I didn't know about their amazing Oriental collection. It's my favorite part. The curvy blades of the ancient East are so seductive and sultry to my eye.  I love the boldness of them.

Anyway, I was really captured by this spear which I seemed to have missed on the last trip. I have in mind to recreate a version of it (minus the inlay and in PW).

But, I thought I'd share it.  Zoom in on the point of the spear if you can. I uploaded a fairly high rez version to allow this. You can imagine how with the right PW, the multiple "fullers" ending before the tip could really create an interesting effect.

Cheers.

Dave

IMG_1428.JPG

IMG_1425.JPG

IMG_1426.JPG

• Like 2

Very interesting weapon. I really like the inlay and the ornate socket. I look forward to seeing your take on it.

I, for one, would enjoy seeing any other photos you may have from this museum. 

Edited by Will W.
Fixed mistake

It brings to mind something that has run through the empty halls of my mind more than once. We know about the Japanese division of labor in sword making but I think we forget that they weren't alone in that. I just doubt, in 19th century India one person made that from beginning to end. This makes it all the more impressive when one of the talented craftsmen on this forum does such a thing. We may have power tools but still the ability of one person to perform all of the steps should be respected. Not to take anything away from the collaborative efforts of members either it is doubtful many of them have the helpers the old makers did.

That’s going to be an awesome project Dave. Can’t wait to see it come to life.