New shop started- floor poured

Today the concrete was poured and smoothed. Rebar and welded wire reinforcement. Surface is smooth as silk. The guy did a great finishing job.

Garagefloor 001.JPG

Garagefloor 003.JPG

• Like 1

16 by 24 ft.. Metric system in Canada only went as far as temperature, highway speed and food labels.

Al:

Looks good to me...I know when we poured our new place it was a real PITA but at 30 x 40..it is a tad bigger... and hence more of a PAIN.. Your size pad would be pretty cozy... What you doing for the rest of it??

JPH

4 hours ago, Al Massey said:

Today the concrete was poured and smoothed. Rebar and welded wire reinforcement. Surface is smooth as silk. The guy did a great finishing job.

Garagefloor 001.JPG

Garagefloor 003.JPG

I'm curious to see where and how you are going to go with the design of the building.

It's going to be a standard garage with electric door opening, but with a few mods. I'm going to run the propane from the outside so I don't have gas tanks in the shop, and there are going to be 5 regular outlets for electricity, plus 2 220 volt, allowing me to keep my press and grinder plugged in at the same time. All the outlets will have dust covers. Also, both the windows and most of the lighting will be at the back end of the shop, for grinding/drilling/buffing, keeping the end by the door dimmer for forging and forging at that end will also let me keep the door partway up in summer. 

I'm planning on building moveable carts for all my gear with the exception, of course, of my anvil, so I can easily move things for cleaning- which I have promised myself to do at the end of each working day!  Also, I'm building a table for my vise and welding. 

Looking good!  I'm envious ;)

I try to do too much in a small space.  I'm also a slob.  This is what happens when you don't live up to your promise to clean up after every day of work.  (Forging activities don't go on in this space.  They are done in a shed away from the house)

IMG_20180603_141935773.jpg

2 hours ago, Brian Dougherty said:

Looking good!  I'm envious ;)

I try to do too much in a small space.  I'm also a slob.  This is what happens when you don't live up to your promise to clean up after every day of work.  (Forging activities don't go on in this space.  They are done in a shed away from the house)

That's a nice tidy space compared to what my shop typically looks like!

4 minutes ago, Joshua States said:

Ha, I'm shocked.  I kind of figured you a stickler for organization!

11 minutes ago, Joshua States said:

Tell me about it!  Look, there's even TWO pathways!  :lol:

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Alan Longmire said:

Yeah, and he has that nice rack of little boxes (left side over the bench) for those little doodads and stuff.

Ok, ok, you guys are as sad as I am.  This is Al's thread, back to oohing and aahing over his new digs!

43 minutes ago, Alan Longmire said:

I'm particularly proud of the 18" wide space I have to stand at when using the lathe.  If I crank the cross slide over too far, I bash my knuckles on the red toolbox...

At least you guys are lucky enough to have shop space, all I have is a carport to start working out of lol.

They've put up the walls and roof trusses.