IMPORTANT Registration rules Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
AndyB

Trying to work out what to do next.

The only problem that I'm having at the moment 1- No welding machine to weld or secure the pipe on pipe as in pipe inside of a pipe. 2- I've been having trouble finding even 1.5 inch pipe even at home depot the largest they sell is 1 inch.    Those are the only two problems lol that are some what limiting me.

Have you thought about going to your local blacksmith group and ask them?  The Northwest Blacksmith Association is have a meeting/demo next week at the expo center in Longview.

https://blacksmith.org/

Yea I have thought about that but that costs money that I can't afford to spend.  Not to mention the fact that the group would want a membership fee as well.  Just money I'm not willing to spend at the moment.  Sad to say.  But yes I have looked into them.  NWBA.

I have thought about making this reply. I've counted to ten, I went and had a cup of coffee.  What I'm saying is that this is not a hasty thing, and I'm trying to be mean, or to chase you off.

Your desire to do everything yourself is a fine thing, most of us have some component of that in our personality, and to an extent, it works for us.  However, that attitude is making you do two things.

1)  You are going over ground that most of us have covered over and over again.  You are making, or about to make, some classic mistakes.  In the end, it's going to cost you money, mostly to redo things you are trying to save a buck on.  I have spent money I could have used in better ways because I'm too lazy or too proud to ask for help, a lot of money in some cases.

2)  I'm also worried that you are compromising safety with your desire to save a buck.  If you want to blow yourself up, that's one thing, if you hurt people around you, that is a whole different problem.  And don't tell me that "I'm fine, everything is just fine", as a group we'd rather tough it out than admit that we just ground 2 fingers off.  "It's fine, it'll stop bleeding in a minute.  They'll grow back.  Just rub some dirt on it, I need to get back or I'll lose the weld."  It's funny on a T shirt, not so much in real life.

Literally, 10 minutes in a working shop will save a couple of grand down the road, and save you all kinds of anguish.  Dave Evans is a member here and just about a half an hour South of you.  The NWBA has members everywhere (we're like spiders, you can't see us, we hide in the curtains and sleep in your hat).

3)  This is not an easy, or cheap, hobby (or job) to get into.  Denying yourself access to help that would be freely given is just hitting your thumb with a hammer over and over and over, just for the fun of it.  If the $60 the NWBA charges for a year is too much for your budget, perhaps you need to back off and think about what it really is that you want to do.

I say all of this in the spirit of getting you started without anyone dying in the process, and saving you money in the long run.

Geoff

• Like 1

I may look into it in the long run.  I started off acquiring things that I needed for this months ago tools ect, a forge that I did not even feel one bit comfortable with and started off building one.  I may at some point look into the membership after thinking about it while destroying pixelated ships on a pc game, 60 dollars a year wouldn't be too bad.  I may just wind up doing that next month.  As far as building this forge goes no I'm not wanting to blow myself up especially being an overly cautious individual.  Not to mention having to go month to month on my purchases is the main reason why I haven't even gotten to heat up metal yet.  But also being proud I'm use to having no help from folks.  So yes this forum has been a big help in what I've managed to get done up unto this point.  I would have thought I would have already made something by now but NOPE.  I don't remember exactly when I started off on this venture I think it was about 4 or 5 months ago.  So that goes to show you how long I've actually been trying to get started on this.  I do plan on acquiring a welder for my own purpose and needs yes.  I guess I can be fool hardy and stubborn in ways of trying to figure things out on my own and learn.  And no Geoff no I'm not offended by that reply what so ever.  I guess you could say I'm more greatful for it.  I just try to challenge myself because of the learning disabilities that I have not to mention the post traumatic stress and TBI so it makes it more difficult for me to actually get out and interact with people.  So there is the one main big reason.  So I've had issues with getting going yes.  Slowly but surely and eventually I'll actually maybe get to make something in the near future just a pain getting started.  Not to mention I'm not trying to be a specific forum warrior either lol but I do eventually want to get out and start doing stuff.

Edited by AndyB

Thanks for the thoughtful reply.  I do want you to succeed, but I also want you to be safe, and I want you to have a good time.  I'm glad you were able to take what I had to say in the way I meant it.

Geoff

Remember you are dealing with two separate values here that you have to balance, air velocity and air volume. If your air tube is too small then you don't have much room for adjusting volume.

27 minutes ago, Geoff Keyes said:

Thanks for the thoughtful reply.  I do want you to succeed, but I also want you to be safe, and I want you to have a good time.  I'm glad you were able to take what I had to say in the way I meant it.

Geoff

Your welcome, I actually understood exactly what you were saying,  I'm also overly cautious anyway whether its playing a game or doing something in the real world lol.  But I spend way too much time on my pc and getting mad at pixels and graphics lol  But at least I'm slowly getting started on this.  Man its a warm one here today gotta hook up the AC already.  How ever on the NWBA I have put in an inquiry email to them as well this morning.  I always try to take input on what everybody has to say.  No matter how different someones suggestion is or what they have to say.  Everything is useful.

15 minutes ago, Vern Wimmer said:

Remember you are dealing with two separate values here that you have to balance, air velocity and air volume. If your air tube is too small then you don't have much room for adjusting volume.

Thats what I think I don't want to screw up lol.  I don't need to be loosing anything bodily wise because of an explosion in messing up an air gas ratio.  I mean building the burner shouldn't be that difficult to do, its just a matter of finding the parts to build it.   Getting going for me has been well tough.  I thought I would of already had a knife made by now.  Nope was I ever wrong.  I hope a newer person than me actually takes the time to read through this thread as well.  I was kinda hoping to maybe at least contribute to the forums being so new that I am, maybe starting a different thread with the subject of how long it should take depending on income lol.

2 hours ago, Gerald Boggs said:

Have you thought about going to your local blacksmith group and ask them?  The Northwest Blacksmith Association is have a meeting/demo next week at the expo center in Longview.

https://blacksmith.org/

I put an inquiry into them via email earlier this morning.

1 hour ago, AndyB said:

I put an inquiry into them via email earlier this morning.

I would show up. meet people, make friends and contacts, volunteer to help set up.  Become part of Northwest blacksmith association, some of the best blacksmiths around are part of that group. 

I will definately look into it.  I just dont drive as much as I use to lol.