IMPORTANT Registration rules Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
AndyB

Trying to work out what to do next.

The only problem that I'm having at the moment 1- No welding machine to weld or secure the pipe on pipe as in pipe inside of a pipe. 2- I've been having trouble finding even 1.5 inch pipe even at home depot the largest they sell is 1 inch.    Those are the only two problems lol that are some what limiting me.

Have you thought about going to your local blacksmith group and ask them?  The Northwest Blacksmith Association is have a meeting/demo next week at the expo center in Longview.

https://blacksmith.org/

Yea I have thought about that but that costs money that I can't afford to spend.  Not to mention the fact that the group would want a membership fee as well.  Just money I'm not willing to spend at the moment.  Sad to say.  But yes I have looked into them.  NWBA.

I have thought about making this reply. I've counted to ten, I went and had a cup of coffee.  What I'm saying is that this is not a hasty thing, and I'm trying to be mean, or to chase you off.

Your desire to do everything yourself is a fine thing, most of us have some component of that in our personality, and to an extent, it works for us.  However, that attitude is making you do two things.

1)  You are going over ground that most of us have covered over and over again.  You are making, or about to make, some classic mistakes.  In the end, it's going to cost you money, mostly to redo things you are trying to save a buck on.  I have spent money I could have used in better ways because I'm too lazy or too proud to ask for help, a lot of money in some cases.

2)  I'm also worried that you are compromising safety with your desire to save a buck.  If you want to blow yourself up, that's one thing, if you hurt people around you, that is a whole different problem.  And don't tell me that "I'm fine, everything is just fine", as a group we'd rather tough it out than admit that we just ground 2 fingers off.  "It's fine, it'll stop bleeding in a minute.  They'll grow back.  Just rub some dirt on it, I need to get back or I'll lose the weld."  It's funny on a T shirt, not so much in real life.

Literally, 10 minutes in a working shop will save a couple of grand down the road, and save you all kinds of anguish.  Dave Evans is a member here and just about a half an hour South of you.  The NWBA has members everywhere (we're like spiders, you can't see us, we hide in the curtains and sleep in your hat).

3)  This is not an easy, or cheap, hobby (or job) to get into.  Denying yourself access to help that would be freely given is just hitting your thumb with a hammer over and over and over, just for the fun of it.  If the $60 the NWBA charges for a year is too much for your budget, perhaps you need to back off and think about what it really is that you want to do.

I say all of this in the spirit of getting you started without anyone dying in the process, and saving you money in the long run.

Geoff

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

I may look into it in the long run.  I started off acquiring things that I needed for this months ago tools ect, a forge that I did not even feel one bit comfortable with and started off building one.  I may at some point look into the membership after thinking about it while destroying pixelated ships on a pc game, 60 dollars a year wouldn't be too bad.  I may just wind up doing that next month.  As far as building this forge goes no I'm not wanting to blow myself up especially being an overly cautious individual.  Not to mention having to go month to month on my purchases is the main reason why I haven't even gotten to heat up metal yet.  But also being proud I'm use to having no help from folks.  So yes this forum has been a big help in what I've managed to get done up unto this point.  I would have thought I would have already made something by now but NOPE.  I don't remember exactly when I started off on this venture I think it was about 4 or 5 months ago.  So that goes to show you how long I've actually been trying to get started on this.  I do plan on acquiring a welder for my own purpose and needs yes.  I guess I can be fool hardy and stubborn in ways of trying to figure things out on my own and learn.  And no Geoff no I'm not offended by that reply what so ever.  I guess you could say I'm more greatful for it.  I just try to challenge myself because of the learning disabilities that I have not to mention the post traumatic stress and TBI so it makes it more difficult for me to actually get out and interact with people.  So there is the one main big reason.  So I've had issues with getting going yes.  Slowly but surely and eventually I'll actually maybe get to make something in the near future just a pain getting started.  Not to mention I'm not trying to be a specific forum warrior either lol but I do eventually want to get out and start doing stuff.

Edited by AndyB

Thanks for the thoughtful reply.  I do want you to succeed, but I also want you to be safe, and I want you to have a good time.  I'm glad you were able to take what I had to say in the way I meant it.

Geoff

Remember you are dealing with two separate values here that you have to balance, air velocity and air volume. If your air tube is too small then you don't have much room for adjusting volume.

27 minutes ago, Geoff Keyes said:

Thanks for the thoughtful reply.  I do want you to succeed, but I also want you to be safe, and I want you to have a good time.  I'm glad you were able to take what I had to say in the way I meant it.

Geoff

Your welcome, I actually understood exactly what you were saying,  I'm also overly cautious anyway whether its playing a game or doing something in the real world lol.  But I spend way too much time on my pc and getting mad at pixels and graphics lol  But at least I'm slowly getting started on this.  Man its a warm one here today gotta hook up the AC already.  How ever on the NWBA I have put in an inquiry email to them as well this morning.  I always try to take input on what everybody has to say.  No matter how different someones suggestion is or what they have to say.  Everything is useful.

15 minutes ago, Vern Wimmer said:

Remember you are dealing with two separate values here that you have to balance, air velocity and air volume. If your air tube is too small then you don't have much room for adjusting volume.

Thats what I think I don't want to screw up lol.  I don't need to be loosing anything bodily wise because of an explosion in messing up an air gas ratio.  I mean building the burner shouldn't be that difficult to do, its just a matter of finding the parts to build it.   Getting going for me has been well tough.  I thought I would of already had a knife made by now.  Nope was I ever wrong.  I hope a newer person than me actually takes the time to read through this thread as well.  I was kinda hoping to maybe at least contribute to the forums being so new that I am, maybe starting a different thread with the subject of how long it should take depending on income lol.

2 hours ago, Gerald Boggs said:

Have you thought about going to your local blacksmith group and ask them?  The Northwest Blacksmith Association is have a meeting/demo next week at the expo center in Longview.

https://blacksmith.org/

I put an inquiry into them via email earlier this morning.

1 hour ago, AndyB said:

I put an inquiry into them via email earlier this morning.

I would show up. meet people, make friends and contacts, volunteer to help set up.  Become part of Northwest blacksmith association, some of the best blacksmiths around are part of that group. 

I will definately look into it.  I just dont drive as much as I use to lol.

Yes guys I am still alive.  I reached a stopping point.  How ever I did get a small welding machine so I can weld up my forge body and actually weld some legs on it.  The beauty of it is now I wont have to pay someone to help weld it.  I can do it myself.  I still have to un box the thing but nah I wound up going with that little 125 amp welder from harbor freight just so I could weld small projects up together like this one.  Once I get around to un boxing the machine and actually putting it together I'll run some beads for practice and get the machine dialed in.  Then at least I wont have to worry about having nuts and bolts coming loose on me and the forge falling over in the end.  I was actually considering picking up some 36 inch long pieces of angle iron from home depot and welding those on for the legs.  Of course Id weld support pieces in as well.  I'm not sure would that be a much better idea to do it that way than welding flanges on and screwing pipe in?  I'll also weld a something on the front of the door for like a work piece rest I think.  Not quite sure yet.  I have not join NWBA yet.  I gotta get back into my masonic lodge first before my dimit expires lol.   But otherwise no things are going smoothly.  I just gotta set my new toy up and give it a whirl.

So this little gizmo machine wasn’t bad for the price I paid eventually I’ll invest in a mig welder that takes shielding gas but for now this will work not bad for 95 bucks

E6EE3909-143C-491E-91B7-C3E0DBA11D44.jpeg

86C99A16-08D6-4E8C-BB35-AED8617A235D.jpeg

E90C8C6A-0542-4B05-B114-4F417DF0EE90.jpeg

Would it be better to remove the paint in prepping the surfaces for welding and remove all the paint with a flapper wheel?  If I use a grinding disc the metal being so thin on this what used to be a tank I'm afraid I would actually grind it down to thin.  Where as if I use a flapper wheel to remove the paint I'm probably going to use a 60 grit or 80 grit flapper.  Would that be the better way to do it rather than the grinding wheel disc?   Oh yea I'll also be removing the flanges as well.  Those will be welded on to the angle iron at the portion that sits on the ground for leg feet.

0630181345.jpg

Taking the paint off with a flapper is a good idea.  Fluxcore has always veen a pain to weld with for me, I would start with as clean of surfaces as possible.

Posted (edited)
50 minutes ago, Alex Middleton said:

Taking the paint off with a flapper is a good idea.  Fluxcore has always veen a pain to weld with for me, I would start with as clean of surfaces as possible.

The flapper wheel worked quite well.  Got all the areas where I am planning on welding cleaned off.  Not to mention those dang warning labels.  Got them off too.  I'm not risking an injury with the door so I'm gonna have to wing it when it comes with the welding and hope for the best.  Also got a couple of wire brushes lol.  Needed them anyway for the welding and for the forging.  When ever that happens.

Edited by AndyB

Posted (edited)

Okay so I think I've got all the major power tools that I need for now.  Belt Sander Angle Grinder Heavy Duty Corded Power drill and Drill press.  Which I just aquired the drill press today from harbor freight not bad for 70 bucks and I had it set up in less than 20 minutes easy really easy and yea I tested it out it works great.  So it should work well for drilling the holes into the tangs of the knifes if and when I can actually start forging lol.  Building up tools is spendy but in the end I will be using them for quite a while so well worth the investment.

0705180948.jpg

Edited by AndyB

How is the welder working for you? I had one and the wire feed quit running and i called the number for parts and they dont supply that part.

Posted (edited)

I actually haven't tried it out as of yet.  More than likely tonight going to have my brother here to help me out I don't want to fry my electrical circuits lol.  Thank god I have a brother thats an electrician.  I'm a bit un easy about the welder lol until I can see the fact that it can run on my outlets with no problem.

Edited by AndyB

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Jeremy Blohm said:

How is the welder working for you? I had one and the wire feed quit running and i called the number for parts and they dont supply that part.

That's probably why they are so cheap.  But no haven't tried it as of yet hopefully tonight I will get most of the stuff welded.  The only real reason I bought it was so I didn't have to pay someone to weld my forge body and legs together lol.

Edited by AndyB

Mine lasted 3 years and i abused the s#/t iut of it.  I also have the 70 amp stick welder and this thing just keps going. It is only good for thin stuff and the few times i attempted damascus and forge welding i used it because it doesnt get a whole lot of penetration and most of the weld is lost to scale so i dont have to grind it out later. Well that is my theory. I havent gotten far enough into damscus to have to grind welds out but it makes sense.

Posted (edited)

I gave my flux core welder to a guy that was going to try and make a stick welder out of it. Im not sure if he successfully did it but i will talk to him and see what happened.

Edited by Jeremy Blohm

22 minutes ago, Jeremy Blohm said:

Mine lasted 3 years and i abused the s#/t iut of it.  I also have the 70 amp stick welder and this thing just keps going. It is only good for thin stuff and the few times i attempted damascus and forge welding i used it because it doesnt get a whole lot of penetration and most of the weld is lost to scale so i dont have to grind it out later. Well that is my theory. I havent gotten far enough into damscus to have to grind welds out but it makes sense.

Sort of the hot glue gun of metal working?

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Jeremy Blohm said:

I gave my flux core welder to a guy that was going to try and make a stick welder out of it. Im not sure if he successfully did it but i will talk to him and see what happened.

17 minutes ago, Vern Wimmer said:

The only thing I'm basically welding together is that forge body.  What was the air tank from harbor freight lol.  Its not an air tank anymore.  I've got four 36 inch pieces of angle iron for legs that I will weld on I've got the door hinge and latch to weld on I havent decided on if I want to weld that piece that I cut out of the door back onto it to make the forge window smaller I'm not sure how well that would work.

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, Vern Wimmer said:

That about sums it up. My big welder will burn deep and fast and i figure why have that deep of a weld of you only want to hold it together for a couple of good welding heats. It doesnt work worth crap for welding on a stick handle though.

Edited by Jeremy Blohm

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Jeremy Blohm said:

So my brother showed up while I was grinding some metal to get rid of the paint we played with the welder.

2 hours ago, Vern Wimmer said:

Mine lasted 3 years and i abused the s#/t iut of it.

Vern I think thats a damn good description.  But hey in the end it got the job done.  It did what I needed it to do.  The only things I have left to do is get my kaowool and my kastolite and burner and of course drill the hole for the burner and weld the pipe for the burner to sit in.  Other than that its about finished up.  Yes if before you ask I tested it it is pretty sturdy.  And NO I was not looking directly at the welding tip lol.  Dont need to go blind.

0705181642.jpg

0705181642a.jpg

0705181533.jpg

0705181545.jpg

Edited by AndyB
  • Like 1