Mike Carbone

Bought the Devil's Forge 2 burner for $209.25!

Hi all, I'm brand new to the site (but I've trolled it for about 2 months). I've been wanting to get into blacksmithing for a few years now and finally made the jump. I've got a homemade coal forge but really wanted to try a propane one. Every single thread talks about making your own but when I saw the price on this I couldn't pass it up. The reviews on YouTube were positive, it now comes with the American fittings and the price of purchasing 2 burners is darn near as much as this entire forge. It doesn't have the 2" of recommended coating (only 1") and it'll still need ITC-100 or something similar but for someone just starting out the price was amazing. Even if it only lasts 1 year I figure I could make a better insulated one when I have more confidence and utilize the parts from this one. Well, I hope I didn't make a mistake but regardless I'm just really glad to finally be on this site! Take care everyone! 

Devil's Forge.png

Just a note here,

For the experience and the parts and plumbing it's not a bad start. I wouldn't worry about adding insulation if the burners work well just a coating on what's there would be a good idea. More insulation might create a back pressure problem with the burners.

• Like 1

Thank you for saving me from a possible problem. These forges are lined with 1" ceramic wool so after reading everything on this site I absolutely plan to coat it. Do you have a preference, ITC-100 or Satanite or any refractory mortar?

If you've trolled here for months, you'll know Wayne Coe on here.  He sells Metrikote and Kastolite. You'll wanna email Wayne, he can help you.

• Like 1

Yup, Wayne's the guy.

I'm glad you see that forge as a temporary tool.  I'd imagine all the positive reviews are from first-time forgers who have never used anything to have as a comparison.  It will get steel hot and so on, but it's far from a good design. ;)

• Like 1

Thank you all for your knowledge. I've been wanting to do this for so long and hope this forge will help get my feet wet (or hot). Now I've got to get back to the search engine on this site...so many questions...so much to read...so little time.  

I prefer kast-o-lite. A refractory mortar is for cementing fire bricks together. It will not work as a castable and will crumble as it dries.

• Like 1

Check out the Build a Gas Forge attachment at the Forge Supplies page on my web-site.  The quote above are for out of date prices (about 8 years ago) but prices are still very reasonable.  I would remove the fire brick and cast about 1/2" thick with Kast-0-Lite all around then after it cures paint the interior with Metrikote.  The attachment is about building a forge but you can use the parts from installing the blanket on for some useful information, then when you get ready to build your next forge use the whole attachment.

Let me know if I can help you.  I prefer contact by e-mail.

• Like 1

Me. Coe,

Per GPrimmer and Mr. Wimmers recommendations I’d already reviewed your website. I just had to wait until I got home from work, had dinner and settled down to place my order with you. Email sent. Thanks again everyone, I can’t tell you how much I’m looking forward to beginning this. 

I took everyone’s advice and picked up some Kast O Lite and Metrikote from Mr. Coe and coated the ceramic wool as instructed. My forge is now curing with a heating light bulb I borrowed from my chicken coop since it’s summer. I’ll let it cure for one week to be safe and try er our next weekend. Thanks to everyone for their advice! 

This is my anvil too, it’s 3’ long standing upright buried in sand. I’ve got one more 3’ section in case I need it later for another type of anvil. 

BTW that’s just the hammer I used to make the stand.

EED76C7B-AB91-4638-965F-8526FB442DC1.jpeg

38ABDFBF-A105-49A3-A4AB-14D57317FC4A.png

Edited by Mike Carbone

Mr. Carbone, 

Funny that I came across this post, very similar situation as myself. Was looking really hard at getting into bending some metal after a divorce but having two teenagers full time didn't leave me a lot of time. Down to one now and he still keeps me pretty busy but am looking at buying a forge very similar (DFPROF2+1) on eBay . I'd look into building one but again time is the issue. Curious how you like it and if you've been able to compare it to anything else. Any feedback is appreciated. 

Thanks