Jeremy Blohm

Is this wrought iron?

Definitely wrought. 

19 hours ago, Zeb Camper said:

Second, I have a really thick and heavy wagon tire that's really soft and etches pretty much white. You can forge it cold and actually works kind of like copper. It presents a very lifeless spark pattern and has no imperfections that I can see. Would you say it's highly refined wrought, or something else? 

You make it sound like aluminum :P

I just picked up a really big hook and a piece of flat bar attached and I'm almost positive it's all wrought iron. I will get pictures when I get home. I also got 4 small wagon wheels that I'm almost sure there mild steel. Every one has a arc weld. I will get pictures of those tomorrow because there outside and I don't feel like trudging through the snow tonight.

Edited by Jeremy Blohm

Resized_20191113_070734.jpeg

Resized_20191113_070801.jpeg

Resized_20191113_070817.jpeg

That's definitely forged, not necessarily wrought, though.  Arc welds on wagon tires does usually mean steel. 

I will do a nick and break test on it shortly. I didnt get my camper winterized and winter is here. I I alread did the touch up painting my wife ordered me to do. And I'm onto the next item on the honey do list. I'm going to squeeze in some shop time in there somewhere!!!

Edited by Jeremy Blohm

Its wrought for sure!!! Pretty gnarly stuff too!Resized_20191113_091350.jpegResized_Screenshot_20191113-091315_Video_Player.jpegResized_20191113_091155.jpeg

• Like 1

I've got a hook just like that! Once you figure out how to spot wrought you start seeing it everywhere. 

17 hours ago, Brian Dougherty said:

You make it sound like aluminum :P

I was shocked at how well it forges. I figure I'll make sword furnature out of it whenever I get the urge to continue work on it. It'd be great for inlay work. 

I'm going to stack a bunch of different wrought iron and use the bundle method to make a wrought bodied axe.......wish me luck. I will try to take pictures as I go.

This is what I'm working with.

Resized_20191113_111332.jpeg

Now that’s a lot of wrought iron! 

I’m excited to see the axe. 

Edited by Conner Michaux