Sign in to follow this  
Gabriel James

Collab: Integral French XXL Chef knife

So this is a Collab between myself and Steve Grosvenor... a buddy of mine from South Dakota. HE was on FIF episode with the charay.

anyway the steel is steves a mix of 52100, cruforgeV 80crv2 and 15n20. All them carbides and Vanadium were hell to grind and polish... but this should make for a work horse of a knife. Anyway he forged to my design specifications (with his input obviously) and shipped to me hardened for me to do all the finish work.  Double dyed birch burl ( i ruined a 100$ block of jewel grade koa on the first attempt) phenolic black spacers with stainless. THis one didnt make it back from blade or i would have gotten more pictures!

2.375" tall

Just shy of 10" long blade length

34863385_10155248169900146_1572611131652964352_n.jpg35082777_10155252772655146_2590523899837939712_n.jpg35159298_10155252772590146_2476071568384458752_n.jpg35226177_10155252772615146_5062415696244244480_n.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Great work!  I'm surprised that Steve got steels with that much chromium to stick together.  He must be a wizard at controlling the atmosphere in his forge.

Doug

That's pretty sweet.  You've come a long way in a couple of years :)

When I read the title of this post, my first thought was "There is an Oakshott classification for kitchen knives?!?"...

...I think I have been working too much lately...

3 hours ago, Brian Dougherty said:

That's pretty sweet.  You've come a long way in a couple of years :)

When I read the title of this post, my first thought was "There is an Oakshott classification for kitchen knives?!?"...

...I think I have been working too much lately...

LOL. i see what you did there.. Well most chef knives come in at 2" tall or under... mostly under from what i see.. This one was forged out to 2 5/8s originally and then trimmed back to 2 3/8 after some shape revisions and waste. But thats a cool idea maybe ill start a new trend LoL

This was also my first fully finished integral, and not having a file guide that would fit was a major draw back. This one was free handed on the platen, very carefully for a few hours to finally get to fit snug.

steve runs a forced air ribbon burner on NG if im not mistaken... but the steel was immaculate. a few guys from the forums got to hold it i think

Thanks for the likes! :D 

Pretty darned sweet there, Gabe!  Glad it didn't come home with you as well. B)

• Like 1

Nice work Gabe!  I thing you found your calling in Chef knives.

• Like 1

Nice the way the pattern is it looks like you got some crazy angles on the knife even though it’s flat.

• Like 1

thanks guys! i love making chef knives, since they are very utilitarian in nature.. I was a bit saddened when i found out the person who bought this knife is a collector and plans to just put it in a glass case. That stallion needs to roam thru fields of veggies!!!! aHhh!! lol Oh well! :D