Started this one just over 5 years ago, and put the finishing touches on it last night. 1095 blade with fileworked tang, a monel ring guard, steel rear bolsters carved in a spiral motif, and carved ebony scales. Cowhide sheath and frog, with a carved bog oak, camel bone and garnet netsuke style toggle...

drow 5.jpg

drow 6.jpg

drow 7.jpg

drow 9.jpg

drow 11.jpg

drow 12.jpg

drow 13.jpg

drow 14.jpg

I guess I'm pretty happy with how it turned out, but I'm kinda sick of looking at it now...

Anyway, let me know what you think...

Edited by jake cleland
  • Like 5

You should be happy about it. it packs a lot of features into one package. The brute de forge texture on the flats playing againsy the polished bevel and hamon are stunning. The carving and filework are outstanding.

I don't know if you planned it all ahead in detail but I could see that being one of those things that takes on a life of its own. The sinuous shape of the blade just invites adding a detail here a detail there

Very nice. I especially like the carving and filework. 

Very nice Jake. I like all the detail. The clean ‘brut de forge’-like texture you added to the face caught my eye.

I love the file work and the bird's head on the toggle - beautiful work all around!

There is a lot going on with this blade and nothing clashes with each other, which is impressive design work to say the least.

I love the celtic/japanese hybrid style you got going on here.

On 6/14/2018 at 7:51 PM, SteveShimanek said:

That is badass.....is the line perpendicular to the blade a kissaki?

not exactly a yokote - the main bevel is hollow ground, and the kissaki is convex ground

On 6/14/2018 at 11:47 PM, Zeb Camper said:

Beautiful! Your leatherwork is a masterpiece all by its self. It does look very "dark elf" like. 

can't take credit for that - the sheath is all my sisters work, apart from the toggle.

• Like 1

That's awesome, Jake. The lines are fantastic, and the hamon really accentuates the whole piece. Gotta love a good over-the-top fantasy blade every once in a while. 

Thanks for sharing this with the forum.

Dave