Are you planning on casting it? Or do you need flat, round, or square barstock? Sheets?

I hope someone has input. I'd like some too.

If it were me I would use C932 or what's called aluminum bronze.  You can get it from Online Metals.   It's available is all shapes where most other bronzes are limited.  Be careful hot forging it though as it has some zinc content.  Don't let the name fool you.  Here's it's chemistry:

Copper (Cu) 81.0 - 85.0%
Tin (Sn) 6.3 - 7.5%
Lead 6.0 - 8.0%
Zinc 2.0 - 4.0%

Edited by Gary Mulkey

I bought some silicon bronze a while back, I cant remember from where, it was a real joy to forge at black heat down to cold, ill have to get more someday.

I think it was from online metals, me and computers dont play well so I cant get the site to open.

While i cannot speak for either Gary or the C932 that he mentions, silicon bronze does get a nice natural brown patina in my exoerience. Im sure there is room to force patina to your liking. 

+1 for Online Metals. 

41 minutes ago, Geoff Keyes said:

Gary, does it patina well?  I'm looking for that rich dark brown.

Geoff

I have to apologize.  I gave you the wrong information.  (It's late and I'm brain dead tonight.)  You want C655 Silicon bronze.  It machines well is usually available in round bar.  It will darken with age.  If you need immediate darkening try using liver of sulfur on it.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Gary Mulkey said:

I have to apologize.  I gave you the wrong information.  (It's late and I'm brain dead tonight.)  You want C655 Silicon bronze.  It machines well is usually available in round bar.  It will darken with age.  If you need immediate darkening try using liver of sulfur on it.

Yup, that's the one you want, that aluminum bronze is some tuff chit to work with.......

20 hours ago, Geoff Keyes said:

Wes, which grade do you use?  They don't have C655 listed.

g

Well crap, now that I am looking, I think it might be bearing bronze.  I typically get cutoffs (since they have a decent section for cutoffs).  I asked if it was silicon bronze, and was told that it was.  Looking on their website, I see that they don't sell silicon bronze.  I'm starting to think that dude was full of crap :angry: