Jump to content
Gary Mulkey

Completed Pair of Bowies

Recommended Posts

They match each other extremely well, Gary. Beautiful work, as always. I really like the pattern of the top one. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Those are high class. Really nice job.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Those look nice.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Your work is as always a pleasure to behold...........B)

If I may ask, that rope knurl on the bolster do you do that on a lathe and then drift it out to fit the tang..??

Edited by Clifford Brewer
Question added

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Clifford Brewer said:

Your work is as always a pleasure to behold...........B)

If I may ask, that rope knurl on the bolster do you do that on a lathe and then drift it out to fit the tang..??

Clifford,

That's done by hand with a checkering file.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Gary Mulkey said:

Clifford,

That's done by hand with a checkering file.

You must be a man of great patience, something I need to practice more of.........-_-

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That (practice) is the thing that puts Gary ahead of so many of us. The patience he put in learning. The time put in learning how to do it, then the practice doing it, yields those kind of results. Not settling for "good enough" is a learned skill for most of us. 

Of course he obviously has a natural talent and eye for what "looks right".

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Clifford Brewer said:

You must be a man of great patience, something I need to practice more of.........-_-

Thanks but this isn't a difficult nor lengthy process.  It takes less than 5 minutes.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For you now, after having internalized the technique I have no doubt (because you said it is good enough) but I just have a feeling it took you longer than five minutes to learn to.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Really nice as always, Gary.

I'd be interested to learn how you form the buttcap/pommel around the curve of the end of the grip. I love curved joints that show no gaps. Straight seams are one thing; curved ones fall into the category of a craftsman silently saying to other craftsmen: "Yo. Check this shit out."

Grins,

Dave

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Dave Stephens said:

Really nice as always, Gary.

I'd be interested to learn how you form the buttcap/pommel around the curve of the end of the grip. I love curved joints that show no gaps. Straight seams are one thing; curved ones fall into the category of a craftsman silently saying to other craftsmen: "Yo. Check this shit out."

Grins,

Dave

 

Dave,

I probably go about this differently than most.  I made some dies for my press with a 2" diameter (one concave & one convex) to bend the pommel cap.  The wood handle is ground freehand to match on my 2x72.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very nice! (As usual)  Thanks again for doing the WIP on these.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Like stepping back in time and viewing the work of the Great Masters.

Gary, if you lived in the early 1800's, the Bowie Brothers would be beating a path to your door!!!!

You are indeed a Master of our times.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you, gentlemen for all of the kind words.  I'm glad that you enjoyed this pair.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/18/2018 at 12:08 AM, Gary Mulkey said:

Dave,

I probably go about this differently than most.  I made some dies for my press with a 2" diameter (one concave & one convex) to bend the pommel cap.  The wood handle is ground freehand to match on my 2x72.

Great idea! I may steal that one.  Thanks, Gary.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Raymond Richard said:

Gary, How many elves are hanging out in  your shop? What wood did you use for the handles? Nice looking work!

Check out his WIP  thread on these

https://www.bladesmithsforum.com/index.php?/topic/37408-starting-a-pair-of-bowies/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Dave Stephens said:

Great idea! I may steal that one.  Thanks, Gary.

I hope that it helps.

3 hours ago, Raymond Richard said:

Gary, How many elves are hanging out in  your shop? What wood did you use for the handles? Nice looking work!

Thanks Ray.  The handle is African Blackwood.  This piece(s) just happened to have a lot of brown in it which I like.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That is a great pair of knives!  Nice work Gary.  I hope I get to see your knives in person one of these days.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Those are a beautiful brace of Bowies Gary. The way they look, IMHO I feel they would have looked much better on Alan Ladd's hip in the Iron Mistress than the one that was featured, they both ooze old world character.

Steve

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Amazing, I especially like the look of the African Blackwood handles and shape of the handles.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×