Got me some chunks of cable, generously slathered with grease. Whats the best way to get the crap out of all the crevices? Friend said soak it in kerosene, that a good idea, or is there a faster/more reliable way?

I'm not a cable welder per say but I've done it and removed a lot of grease from things. The kerosene is a good idea IMO. What it doesn't remove it will thin out and then, as a bonus, it will burn out in the forge which will help keep the oxygen level in the inner welds low, like flux would. 

33 minutes ago, ethanknott said:

Got me some chunks of cable, generously slathered with grease. Whats the best way to get the crap out of all the crevices? Friend said soak it in kerosene, that a good idea, or is there a faster/more reliable way?

12 minutes ago, Vern Wimmer said:

I'm not a cable welder per say but I've done it and removed a lot of grease from things. The kerosene is a good idea IMO. What it doesn't remove it will thin out and then, as a bonus, it will burn out in the forge which will help keep the oxygen level in the inner welds low, like flux would. 

Vern what if he tried soaking it in White Vinegar?  Or would that just create bad fumes no one would want?  Not sure if the Vinegar would work though.  Could also try goo off.

Vinegar doesn't touch grease.  I just throw greasy cable in the forge as-is and let the grease act as a carbon source.  That said, kerosene or diesel works fine if you want it cleaner.

Using a petrol chemical is generally the best wast to remove a petrol chemical grease. It gives the flux-like effect as a bonus. Goo off won't penetrate and then he'd have to rinse that out complicating the whole operation. . With kerosene it's just "soak, swish around, wipe off the exterior, go about the forging process". Most folks suggest welding the end up then heating to welding temp and twist up tightly in a vise, with a wrench of course, until you feel it "lock up" and or using a swage and hammering with the twist at welding heat. Some folks get a "wider" pattern by not twisting . I tried both since cable is popular in my area. I got a lot of "end waste" when I didn't twist. I don't pattern weld so I don't look for cable.