Sign in to follow this  
Josh Burrell

resurrection

Hello Everybody, 

been a long time.

thought it was overdue adding some content here. heres a couple of axes from the recent past. 

hope you are all doing well 

the axes shown are all featuring forge welded steel edges and mild steel bodies, the two socketed arrangements are entirely forge welded in a coal forge from multiple pieces. 

Ive been studying and making traditional forms of carpentry axes for several years, so this is a tiny slice of what i do. 

Im hoping very much to rejoin this community in a more regular fashion
Ps i hope the picture uploader works better than it used to... i no longer have a photo bucket account...  

IMG_20170426_152134.jpg

IMG_20171023_094151.jpg

IMG_20180328_144415.jpg

IMG_20180509_151930.jpg

• Like 4

Good to see you back, Josh!  Those are all great, but that #4 socketed one is my favorite of the bunch.  

Hey Alan! great to see you buddy, i'm glad to see the uploader works these days ;) 

Must be huge gaps here there and everywhere since photobucket went belly up. 

1 hour ago, Justin Mercier said:

Powertools have us all spoiled =P

True, that. 

Oh, i dont know. Im torn between #2 and #4. Theyre all really nice. 

Hey Josh. Very nice. I’m quite liking number 3. Could you perhaps enlighten us a bit about these carpentry axes? Are they for different uses or individual preferences? Thanks.

Very very nice. Im interested in learning more about the construction methods for no. 3&4. Thank you for sharing!!!

Thanks guys! 

the first axe is a basic craft axe Of my own style i made a few years ago,  got a nice inserted steel bit. 

The second is my take on a rare traditional pattern of british axe known as a "cratemakers". I think the origin of the style goes back to pre- containerised shipping where reall shipping crates were made dockside. these axes (often much heavier than this example) served as great tools for rapidly fabricating cheap but effect joints for these wooden crates. Or at least that is my theory on the name. 

3 and 4 are both variations on a theme, using a traditional northern european way to build a socketed axe. #3 is a thick edge, double beveled hewing axe for housebuilders,  number 4 is more of a general purpose carpenters style, again double beveled. 

the advatage in this instance of the socket is the interchangeable handle. scandi log building styles often dont hew the surface until after the structure has been built, thus you can find yourself hewing the interior wall and when in a corner, you may have the advantage of altering the haft. 

• Thanks 1

I really appreciate seeing tools, axes, knives, swords (or whatever) made by someone who actually know HOW they were/are used. The details of hands-on use and experience makes a big difference that separates those items thusly made from those made by someone who just copies the shape without understanding the purpose.

Obviously you are both a craftsman and a purveyor of living history. Bravo!