Gary Mulkey

Starting a New Bowie

I have been working recently on restocking my supply of hunters which didn't require a lot of design work which left me time to work on designing a new Bowie project.  A while back my friend Jean-Louis Regel gave me permission to try to recreate a damascus pattern of his.  Even though I  didn't achieve total success, the knife has drawn so much attention & praise that I am going to try to recreate the damascus pattern.  ;)  One never knows but it is worth a try anyway.  This time I  think that I will make a Daniel Searles type Bowie from it.  I may not exactly duplicate one of Searles knives this time but the style will definately be his.  Here's the steel that I'm shooting for (not the knife style):

IMG_7948_opt

IMG_9174_opt

IMG_9177_opt

This will more than likely be a  lengthy project.  I'll try to keep you updated as I  go.

Edited by Gary Mulkey
  • Like 1

Looking forward to it, Gary. I loved the way that horsehead bowie turned out. 

• Like 1

Hmm, I thought your last attempt at this pattern was pretty successful even though I got lost in the manipulations.  I'll try to keep up this time :)

Strap in boys and girls. Here we go :)

• Like 2

Thanks for the vote of confidence guys.  I appreciate it.  This one is not only going to have a difficult damascus pattern but the handle pins will be a challenge as well.  Here's one made by a friend of mine which has the handle pin arrangement that I'm after.  I'm sure that Steve did them on his milling machine which I don't have so I will be doing it on a drill press which will make for some fun.  I just hope that I can get there without pulling out too much hair as at my age I don't have any to spare.;)

Culver001

Right now I don't plan on making a metal tipped sheath as they are a PITA to make but if all turns out well  I may if I still have the knife come time for the Arkansas Show as I may enter it in the hIstoric  catagory of awards.

• Like 1

Here's after day two on the steel:

IMG_9187_opt

The five thicker layers are 40 x 1 "W" pattern billets.  They are separated by layers of both 1080 & 15N20 (A-BB-A).

The Searles Bowie has always fascinated me. To my eye the tang just seems to be a weak spot but overall I like it a lot. I've often thought about a downscaled version with a more, to my eye, proper tang. Maybe about 3/4 size in most dimensions.

• Like 1

Do you ever rest Gary  ??......................;)

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Clifford Brewer said:

Do you ever rest Gary  ??......................;)

If you enjoy it, it's not work.

• Like 1

Very true......B)

This is going to be great to follow, I'm looking forward to see how this progresses and seeing the finished knife.

Day three:

Today I got the billet welded, squared on the bias and drawn out ready for grinding and the first of two four-ways:

IMG_9189_opt

IMG_9192_opt

IMG_9194_opt

IMG_9198_opt

Unfortunately I noticed too late that my original notes on making this pattern were flawed.  I'm going to end up with four stripes in each quadrant of the 4-way rather than three but that's OK.  It should still be an attractive pattern.

I got the first 4-way done today which gave me my first look at the pattern:

IMG_9199_opt

IMG_9201_opt

IMG_9204_opt

IMG_9207_opt

I'll try to get the second 4-way done tomorrow.

• Like 1

I got the billet ready for the final 4-way weld but I think that I may wait until the sun gets a little  lower and the temp a  little less before I  weld it.  Hopefully this will give you an idea of what the pattern will look like even though I didn't get very good picture quality on this one.

IMG_9224_opt

• Like 1

Welded .  I decided that I wanted to present this pattern on the bias rather than having each square sit on top  of one another so I did one final  squaring on the bias after the last weld.  Here's the billet drawn out for tile cutting.  It's in the annealing oven now.

IMG_9237_opt

• Like 1

Gary, man I wish you had a tv show or youtube channel so I could watch you work! B)

I don't know who Mr Culver is.......but I don't need anybody to tell me what MS stands for.........just wow!

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Gerhard said:

Gary, man I wish you had a tv show or youtube channel so I could watch you work! B)

I don't know who Mr Culver is.......but I don't need anybody to tell me what MS stands for.........just wow!

Thank you for the kind words.  I glad that you're enjoying the trip.  For this one I'm going to add a few touches of my own and am not going to try to duplicate either the original Searles Bowie or that of my friend Steve.  Both will be guidelines but I enjoy adding a little of me to the original designs. 

Once I get a little further along with the steel, I will start working on the hilt which  may take just as long as making the steel as it's full of silver inlays as well as checkering.

My public shop is closed on Fridays so maybe I'll get a little done on this one tomorrow.   As the heat index was 110 degrees today and scheduled for the same tomorrow, if I do any forge work it will be early morning.

IMG_9256_opt

It's been very hot here recently but I got up early today and managed to get the tile cut welded into a  billet.

IMG_9272_opt

Edited by Gary Mulkey

Unfortunately today while smithing the billet into blade shape an ugly flaw appeared.  One of the tile welds decided to open up on one corner while I was trying to stretch the steel the other direction.  By that time it was too late to re-weld it and the crack was too deep to grind out so now I get to make another billet.  I got it started today:

IMG_9279_opt

IMG_9281_opt

And people  wonder why damascus knives cost more.;)

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Gutted for you Gary. Still, this will be good.

• Like 1