Bowie for a buddie

Mike Ward

After a stupid amount of time and a restart, this is done. Started with a blade of 1084 that worked just fine up until the point where I decided to do the heat treat again because I wasn't satisfied with the first one. Bad idea because it was too thin by that point and the edge looked like it was Lake Michigan on a windy day:(.

Restarted with some 80cvr2 cause some people *cough cough Vern cough cough* seem to love it for it's forgiveness and ease. He's right about that, I like it.

Anyway, the guard is 1084/15n20 with 12 layers twisted. The handle goes tiger striped maple, wenge and bubinga with a length of 4.5". It is finished with several coats of Tung oil and I will be putting wax on there also. The blade is 8 3/16" long by 1 3/8" wide and 1/8" thick.

Thank you everyone for your suggestions. My buddy loves it so I think it's a job well done.

IMG_20180627_155606.jpg

IMG_20180627_155616.jpg

IMG_20180627_155730.jpg

IMG_20180627_155740.jpg

IMG_20180627_155808.jpg

IMG_20180627_155817.jpg

I like it and I've heard that odd whatchamacallit steel takes a good finish and gets purty sharp. Should be a great knife. I'm glad you decided to go thin with it. I think people are mistaken to think they have to be as thick as the bumper on a '58 Caddy. Some of them there funny named steels we have today are Gawdalmitey tough.

Thanks, I appreciate it. Only weird thing I found was that I have a near perfectly vertical "hamon" line about a quarter inch away from the plunge line. You can kinda see it in the first two pictures, but I tell ya the difference in sanding the hardened and soft is a real pain in the thumbs. Probably caused by too short of a fire and tube when heat treating.

That turned out nice MIke.  I"ve been cheering for you from the shadows on this build.

You can get auto-hamons/hardening lines like that near the ricasso/tang area because you generally are trying to avoid getting the tang hot enough to harden it.  That means that somewhere between the tang and the edge will be a point at which the steel transitions from hard to soft.  You just need to manage the heat so that the transition isn't near the edge :)

Edited by Brian Dougherty

-Brian