Sign in to follow this  
Vern Wimmer

Let's be careful out there

Since this section seems to be the busiest one lately I wanted to post up a warning about playing with fireworks this holiday.

Right now we are on edge because of some dimwits at a camp on Lobster Creek just a very few miles away, as the fire travels, who decided to play with fireworks. At 1:55 pm yesterday the first firefighters arriving sized it up at about 30 acres. This morning it was 300 acres and growing. We have air assets from Medford dropping retardant and crews from all over. 20 mph winds are pushing the fire and this morning they expected it to jump the Rogue River. We are on the same side of the river as the fire and it is just a valley and a hill away. Word on the grapevine is that the folks at the camp refused to say a word without their lawyer. Oh,.....sure.... NOW they start thinking.

lobster+creek+3.JPG

Edited by Vern Wimmer
Pad double pumped photo

"On edge?"  That's a bit mild for what I'd be thinking...  :ph34r:  Here's hoping favorable winds and drenching rains find you soon!

That sucks to hear; that used to be beautiful wild country up there before they logged everything. Hope they can't that under control before it goes like the Chetco and Kalmiopsis fires. Stay safe.

I don't know when you saw the country but my great, great Grandfather logged a bunch of it, my Dad then logged it, as second growth, for a second time. The Kalmiopsis fire got out of hand because logging had been banned and the area put off limits to all but foot traffic and as a result there were no usable roads to move fire equipment on. The only thing that protects the true "old growth" timber from lightning caused fires, like the Kalmiopsis,  is Man's intercession if there are the privately built logging roads to use. That fire, wiped out the very area "some kind of folks" claimed to be "saving" by not allowing roads. 

Irony, the group using the campground and strongly suspected of playing with fireworks in a dry, hot, grassy and forest area was,

"Next Generation Climate Justice Action Camp"

According to the Sheriff's press release the group is making no comments about the cause of the fire, on advice of their lawyer, despite evidence they tried to extinguish it.

Friggin tree huggers are the forests worst enemy !!!!!!!!!  :angry:

• Like 1

That is unfortunate, Vern. I hope the winds blow in your favor. 

"Climate Justice", thats a good one. Apparently their idea of conservation was to burn the forest so nobody can cut the trees down. 

Looks like they are getting a handle on it. Just over 400 acres not much growth in the last 12 hours. They have it fairly well contained since a lot of it was private land with logging roads.

And that is as close to the "P" word as I'll get. Be careful this week and have fun.

I am far from anti-logging; i remember the area of Lobster Creek mainly in the late 1960s-70s, when the second growth was mature and had not been logged. Looking at Google Earth of the area, there are many more logging roads and lots of bare/brushy areas surrounding the creeks now. I can also see that the area at the edge of Gold Beach where I used to live has been deforested and developed, with lots of grassy hills where once used to be mossy forests, deer, quail, and rabbits.  eta: I was tripping down memory lane a while back when i was looking at the are on GE; i can't afford to travel off this god forsaken rock often, so I travel in cyberspace when i have time. Glad they are getting the fire under control; whether roads are necessary for fire fighting i will leave to those more knowledgeable, but difficulty of access means that less dummy will access the area to set it on fire with their fireworks.

Edited by SteveShimanek

1 minute ago, SteveShimanek said:

I am far from anti-logging; i remember the area of Lobster Creek mainly in the late 1960s-70s, when the second growth was mature and had not been logged. Looking at Google Earth of the area, there are many more logging roads and lots of bare/brushy areas surrounding the creeks now. I can also see that the area at the edge of Gold Beach where I used to live has been deforested and developed, with lots of grassy hills where once used to be mossy forests, deer, quail, and rabbits. 

When I came back I couldn't believe they had built homes on Bailey Beach just north of the North Jetty. Bad idea. My Dad saw a storm in the 30s that tossed logs up to where the highway is now. Greed and ego overwhelms common sense. OTOH I think there have only been a couple of houses built on Euchre Creek in the last half century.

That reminds me of some resort area up on the north coast that was developed on a sand spit in the 20s; it got completely wiped out by that big storm in the 30s with waves going completed over the peninsula. Nature is hard to argue with.

4 hours ago, Vern Wimmer said:

When I came back I couldn't believe they had built homes on Bailey Beach just north of the North Jetty. Bad idea. My Dad saw a storm in the 30s that tossed logs up to where the highway is now. Greed and ego overwhelms common sense. OTOH I think there have only been a couple of houses built on Euchre Creek in the last half century.

The almighty dollar runs the world, and not always in a good direction! 

Looks like our fires we had a few years back in Bastrop Texas. Twice. Keep safe!

Edited by Austin_Lyles

On 7/2/2018 at 1:04 PM, Vern Wimmer said:

Since this section seems to be the busiest one lately I wanted to post up a warning about playing with fireworks this holiday.

Right now we are on edge because of some dimwits at a camp on Lobster Creek just a very few miles away, as the fire travels, who decided to play with fireworks. At 1:55 pm yesterday the first firefighters arriving sized it up at about 30 acres. This morning it was 300 acres and growing. We have air assets from Medford dropping retardant and crews from all over. 20 mph winds are pushing the fire and this morning they expected it to jump the Rogue River. We are on the same side of the river as the fire and it is just a valley and a hill away. Word on the grapevine is that the folks at the camp refused to say a word without their lawyer. Oh,.....sure.... NOW they start thinking.

lobster+creek+3.JPG

Who do we Award this Darwin to?

Apparently, at this point, the only suspects at this point are the members of,

"The Next Generation Climate Justice Action Camp"

Or as we refer to their ilk, "Tree hugging bunny fondlers ".

But that is just a preliminary investigative lead that is based on the fact that they were as far as is known,the sole users of the limited grounds, there is evidence they or someone at their camp, tried to put the fire out and they refuse to talk at all based on the advice of their lawyer who may or may not have been the first phone call they made. But none of this is to be construed as evidence of guilt

Glad to hear the fire won't get to you Vern.

I'm in NorCal, and for us, the fun is just beginning. Every summer half of our state burns up. Makes me paranoid all summer, as my neighborhood was razed to the ground by a wildfire back in  2009. We bought a lot from some folks who chose not to rebuild, and built our house there. A large wooded area sits just 300 yards south of my house, so I am on edge throughout our fire season---which is flirting with becoming year-round.

Here in Utah we currently have the Dollar Ridge fire going. Its about 70-80 miles away from Salt Lake, but on Friday morning last week there was enough smoke from it blown into the valley that it looked like the entire southern end of the valley was on fire. 

Things are just getting started here as well, if the dry weather keeps up we will probably have at least another 3-4 large fires around the state. Kind of makes me miss doing Wildfire fighting, was a fun summer job. 

Everyone be safe out there. 

• Sad 2

Sadly is is something that we, in the western States, have in common. I hope you, and Jason, come out of another summer OK. Some folks don't quite understand why we have evacuation plans.