Forklift tine anvil

Zach Wade

Found this laying in the yard at work.

3x9x48 forklift tine.

I'm thinking cut it to size with a portable bandsaw and try to keep it cool. Then stand it up straight (probably gonna need some help for that) and mount it in a 5 gallon bucket filled with cement. 

Think that will be stable enough?

Anyone see any problems with this plan other that that it's gonna take forever to cut and be a pain to move?

20180629_155253.jpg

Edited by Zach Wade

Great improvised anvil.

I'd make a wooden stand to hold it. If you cast in concrete and it starts to loosen it's problematic to tighten and the concrete adds nothing to the mass of the anvil itself.

If I could cut it I'd also cut off a square piece for a larger face for some uses.

Gonna have a roughly 12" block left over on the end with the eye, dunno if having the eye might be useful for something but I'm not making 3 cuts lol. I can build something around it with 7x9 blocks pretty easily.

Won't add anything underneath it just around it to keep it straight up and down. 

Think about halfway up the length of it should be sufficient?

The thing is HEAVY. If I did my math right it should weigh about 275 lbs with all that standing under the face. (3x9x36x.284) haven't decided exactly how tall I wanna cut it to but it's somewhere in that range.

That's a decent size.

Lots of folk I know have struggled with cutting forklift tines. I expected to struggle too, but used a 14" carbide-toothed portable cutoff saw (an Evolution Raptor) on my 2" x 4" tine and was absolutely stunned at how quick, clean and cool the cut was. 

I have access to a smaller saw like that, i wanna say 7". How does the smaller tine do? I'm pretty sure if I look hard enough I can dig one of those up from the skid steer

Edited by Zach Wade

2”x4” felt too small for a face. With hindsight, I should have left it. I welded on a couple of offcuts from the tapered end to give about a 4” x 5” face, but welding it ruined the original tine HT. It seems really soft and the plan is to hard-face it as soon as I can source some suitable rods.

I made a cutlers stiddy from another short piece of the tine and it seems to be usefully hard with the original HT.

I think a tine the size of yours would make a pretty good post anvil if you don’t overheat it when cutting it.

• 4 months later...

What with?

With 2 cuts and probably some tidying up with a grinder,  it should be less than a days work to make a better post anvil than many smiths are ever likely to own. That seems like an excellent use of your time to me.